[Japanese] みんなの日本語 - Minna no nihongo - Books I&II

Here are the flashcards of みんなの日本語 - Minna no nihongo (Books I&II) for the new flashcards module on Ipod, Iphone, Ipad.
It's working great (except the tones of course ^^).

The definitions of the vocabulary are in English.

Update 2011/04/26
The previous flashcards were a mess (The regex I used wasn't so good). This time I've redone every thing and I've checked. The cards are nice. If you find some mistakes or bugs, please let me know.

Installation
1)Upload the "Minna no Nihongo - PLECO.txt" file using the Pleco File Manager
2)Go to Flashcards menu
3)Imports Cards=
4)Choose the file with these options :
Text encoding : UTF-8
Definition source : File only
Store in user dict : No
Missing entries : Create Blank
Ambiguous entries : Prompt
Duplicate cards : Allow
Unsafe mode : No

Upgrade
To avoid any conflict, you'd better delete any previous installation (cards) ; don't forget that once delete the cards go to the "Uncategorized section".

Attachments

• Minna no Nihongo - PLECO.txt
    119 KB · Views: 4,685
The previous flashcards were a mess (The regex I used wasn't so good). This time I've redone every thing and I've checked. The cards are nice. If you find some mistakes or bugs, please let me know.

puneboyz

about the the chapter 7 for book 1

the vocab " chopsticks" is incorrect the last alphabet should be "mu" instand of "ma"

hope this will be benefit for your guy :D

zhouyi

秀才
Thank you for the cards.

Unfortunately, now that I've just switched to the Android version of Pleco I am unable to view that kana pronunciations of the cards for the kanji. When I import the cards into Pleco I can see this but after I open to review the cards this is gone. Is there anyway to fix this? Thanks!

HW60

状元
zhouyi said:
Unfortunately, now that I've just switched to the Android version of Pleco I am unable to view that kana pronunciations of the cards for the kanji. When I import the cards into Pleco I can see this but after I open to review the cards this is gone. Is there anyway to fix this? Thanks!
I am successfully using about 5000 japanese custom flashcards under windows mobile 6.1 and now would like to switch to Android. Are there more Pleco users with problems reading japanese kana - I would probably prefer to by another windows 6.x phone in that case.

zhouyi

秀才
Just wanted to say that I have been able to solve the problem by using Ankidroid for Japanese cards, where you can download a better version of the Minna no nihongo flashcards. I think its nice too that I won't have to worry about problems of mixing Japanese with Chinese cards.

puneboyz said:
about the the chapter 7 for book 1

the vocab " chopsticks" is incorrect the last alphabet should be "mu" instand of "ma"

hope this will be benefit for your guy :D

Chopsticks in Japanese is はし hashi... I don't get your point with "mu" or "ma"..

zhouyi said:
Just wanted to say that I have been able to solve the problem by using Ankidroid for Japanese cards, where you can download a better version of the Minna no nihongo flashcards. I think its nice too that I won't have to worry about problems of mixing Japanese with Chinese cards.

These flashcards were just to help Pleco community to test japanese characters on their device and learn basic japanese. They were free to use. I'm not the who made them, I'm the one who converted them to make them compatible with Pleco. I guess you can open a txt file and see how it is done. The format of this txt file is UTF8, so it shouldn't have any problems to display japanese characters. If they are, you should tell Mike, he's the developer of Pleco. He always replies to questions... so it shouldn't be a problem.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
cclaerhout said:
The format of this txt file is UTF8, so it shouldn't have any problems to display japanese characters. If they are, you should tell Mike, he's the developer of Pleco. He always replies to questions... so it shouldn't be a problem.

I'm not seeing any issues with this here... it might be that your device has a very weird built-in Chinese font file; the new 2.3.6 update on Android adds an easy system for installing custom Chinese font files (much easier for us to implement on Android than on iOS, sadly) so once that's out I'd suggest downloading it and installing your favorite CJK font that includes Kana support (as most good ones do).

HW60

状元
There are several chinese and japanese characters that share the same position in uniform fonts, but look different when displayed with chinese or japanese fonts, e.g. U76F4 = 直 looks different when displayed with a japanese font like Meiryo. For a perfect chinese/japanese Pleco solution therefore both a japanese and a chinese font would be needed, one for the japanese flashcards, one for the chinese. I am not very optimistic that this is close to the top of your priority list though ...

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
HW60 said:
There are several chinese and japanese characters that share the same position in uniform fonts, but look different when displayed with chinese or japanese fonts, e.g. U76F4 = 直 looks different when displayed with a japanese font like Meiryo. For a perfect chinese/japanese Pleco solution therefore both a japanese and a chinese font would be needed, one for the japanese flashcards, one for the chinese. I am not very optimistic that this is close to the top of your priority list though ...

Sadly no, though we have managed to get Hangul rendering correctly again (and Thai rendering correctly for the first time since iOS 4 came out and screwed up all of Apple's fonts) for the 2.2.11 bug-fix update.

I have a similar question about using Japanese with pleco. I love pleco's SRS flashcards so much more than anki or anything else I have found. I got a great deck all loaded into pleco and for the most part it works, but some characters display wrong. There wouldn't be anything that I could do to get around this is there?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
neocarbunkle said:
I have a similar question about using Japanese with pleco. I love pleco's SRS flashcards so much more than anki or anything else I have found. I got a great deck all loaded into pleco and for the most part it works, but some characters display wrong. There wouldn't be anything that I could do to get around this is there?

It might be possible once we add custom fields sometime (probably) in 2013 - at that point it'll be possible to exercise much more fine-grained control over how particular bits of text display in flashcards, which could include displaying them in a Japanese or Korean font.