Ipod Touch 8GB 3G

keitha

I am planning to buy a Ipod Touch 8GB 3G for the purpose of running Pleco. Anyone that is using the 8GB version? (which is built on the older hardware and also have less memory than the 32GB version).
I personally really dislike when programs/operating systems slows down/stops even for just one second, so I am curious if the 8gb ipod is powerful enugh for a smooth experience. =)

-keitha

character

状元
keitha said:
I am planning to buy a Ipod Touch 8GB 3G for the purpose of running Pleco. Anyone that is using the 8GB version? (which is built on the older hardware and also have less memory than the 32GB version).
I personally really dislike when programs/operating systems slows down/stops even for just one second, so I am curious if the 8gb ipod is powerful enugh for a smooth experience. =)

Kietha, From what I've read, there is no 8GB 3G version; it's still the 2G version. I've been using an 8GB iPod Touch 2G for beta-testing Pleco. The device has been fine for listening to podcasts, watching videos, trying out various apps and games, and of course running Pleco. The 2G iPod Touch has a faster processor than the iPhone 3G (no "s").

My one regret in purchasing the device is that videos quickly fill the 8GB. While Apple is probably (soon?) coming out with updated Touches with cameras, if that's not a big deal to you, consider getting at least the 32GB model. That way you get the fastest Touch/iPhone processor, Open GL ES 2.0, and more memory.

keitha

Thank you for your input! I think I will mostly use the ipod for the pleco software though.
So I will probably buy the 8gb (I thought they called it 3G but built it 2nd gen hardware) if it's fast enough to run pleco nice and smoothly. The 32gb is nice but the jump in price is abit too big for my wallet.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
It runs Pleco very nicely - we have one here for testing, the processor is indeed faster than the 3G (which is what I carry around myself, haven't updated to the 3GS) and everything feels smoother as a result. And 8 GB is far more space than you need to run Pleco. But yes, the even faster processor / more memory in the 32GB model certainly does improve things further, particularly with the very memory-intensive "Live Mode" reader feature.