Interface Suggestion (Save Users Time): 'Go home' Buttons

kingrut

My Pleco Experience: I used Pleco dictionary for around 7 months, and found this experience amazing. There is no other application, which can substitute Pleco functionality and usability. But I want to propose one more usability interface upgrade, which will help Pleco users save a lot of time and enjoy Pleco functionality even more.

Amazing Pleco Usability: I found both Dictionary and Clip Reader (both of which I use very often) have interesting logic going back to Home screens, which I can achieve in two ways (imaging, what now we are at Clip Reader):
  1. Then I press Dictionary button, and I will go to the last opened word in Dictionary. Then I can press Back button and go back through the history. If the history is big, I need to press Back button quite a lot of times to go back to Dictionary home screen.
  2. Second way, how can I achieve home screen immediately, is an example of great interface usability work of Pleco developers: I press Dictionary button, and then, instead of pressing Back button bunch of times, I press (from Pleco menu) Dictionary button second time, and now I will go to Dictionary home page immediately, ignoring all the history.
Suggestion: The second option is so extremely useful, what I use it almost every time. But! I still need to waste time to press Dictionary or Clip Reader buttons twice. What I suggest, is to add additional button in interface, which will allow user immediately go to home page of Dictionary or Clip Reader. I draw example of interface below. Maybe at the first it's worth just to enable and disable these buttons at preferences page.

Realisation: I attached an example image of application with additional buttons.

pleco_suggestion.png

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Thanks.

My problem with this approach is that it makes it too easy to do something destructive by accident - namely, lose whatever context you have in Dictionary or Reader and drop back to their main screen; that's not something that should happen just by tapping a little farther to the right than you meant to, but of course putting up a confirmation alert would leave us right back where we started tapping-wise.

Have you considered installing a gesture-based launcher app on your device? (lots of them to choose from) You could use that to invoke one of our quick-launch icons (Settings / Miscellaneous / Launchers) and jump back to the dictionary or the Clip Reader that way - would be even faster than opening up the sidebar menu and tapping a home button.