Installing Google Play Services on a China-bought Android phone?

Scoox

举人
Hi all, I bought a Samsung C5 Pro phone a couple of days ago. Amazing hardware, really ticks all the boxes for me, but... this phone is completely devoid of anything Google. That includes no Play Store. Initially I thought getting the Google stuff installed would be as easy as installing copying and running an APK, but apparently not. All Google Play Services APKs I've downloaded either, run and crash, install but don't run, or don't install at all. This is my first time to purchase an Android device in China, so I didn't even see this coming. This is a nightmare. I've wasted the whole weekend trying to get Google to work on my phone (so I can sync my contacts, calendar, previously purchased apps, etc) but no cigar. Has anyone here had a similar experience and a solution? I've reached the point where I'm willing to sell it and get a Pixel or something that is guaranteed to come with the Google bits pre-installed. Any help would be much appreciated, thanks!

举人
I can't exactly comment for your Samsung, but I bought a Xiaomi in China which has the same issues. Being a Samsung the way forward isn't as clear but developer forums such as XDA should have some guides. I know the big Chinese players like Xiaomi have a vibrant English forum communities to explain the way forward. I suggest look up some Samsung in China forums, you definitely wouldn't be the first with this problem. Also worth mentioning is them being google services have a VPN ready.

Scoox

举人
Perhaps it's easier to reinstall an occidental version of android, like in https://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/ .
Only an opinion.

That was my first thought, but at the moment only the Chinese version is available, which is not surprising considering this device was launched only two or three weeks ago specifically for the Chinese market. The problem is, even if there was one, isn't there a chance it might not work? For example, my phone is dual SIM but AFAIK devices from the US and Europe aren't. There may be other subtle differences in the hardware, which could lead to bricking...

Scoox

举人
I've just been reading a bit more...

Some Chinese netizen said:
以后买手机,不要买大陆的华为、中兴、酷派、Vivo、Oppo、魅X、米X等国产垃圾机,它们绝对没有谷歌服务的,国产厂的系统里面偷偷内置各种干扰屏蔽和监视用户的后门程序,系统还做的很一般,存在各种兼容性问题。你买手机只认准买三星、LG、HTC、Sony、Nexus等的港行、美行、亚太版等的。

I'm almost certain I'm going to get a Pixel. No more dealing with pre-installed garbage and two-faced companies that bend over for the Chinese government. Google, unlike Apple, Samsung, etc, is the only company that puts principles before money, and for that they earn my trust.