How to update from beta ?

sharpe88

I see that my Pleco expires March 1. How do I update it? I have the OCR module, and I am in China.

Do I uninstall, reinstall from the Market and use my reg key? Will Pleco be able to do auto updates in the future?

thanks

sharpe88

Okay, I DL'd the new version from the china Market. It didn't give me the option to Update though, just Download. When I DL'd it , it appears to be a seperate installation from the beta. It is asking me to DL 26.2mb of data files. The dictionaries? Which I should already have.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
sharpe88 said:
Okay, I DL'd the new version from the china Market. It didn't give me the option to Update though, just Download. When I DL'd it , it appears to be a seperate installation from the beta. It is asking me to DL 26.2mb of data files. The dictionaries? Which I should already have.

Sorry - the China market version keeps its data files in a different place since it has a different bundle ID. Go into the Android/data/ folder on your SD card and rename "com.pleco.chinesesystem" to "com.pleco.chinesesystem.cn" (deleting the existing folder with that name, if any) and that should make it pick up the files.

sharpe88

Ok, I did that and it still doesn't give me an option to Update. Just Install. Is it because I didn't originally install my pleco via Market?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
sharpe88 said:
Ok, I did that and it still doesn't give me an option to Update. Just Install. Is it because I didn't originally install my pleco via Market?

No - sorry, I was confused about your situation. With that version there wouldn't be an "Update" option since as far as Android is concerned it's a different app with a different ID; however, now that you've renamed your folders, when you download that new version and open it it should find your old dictionary and flashcard databases and keep using them. (you may need to re-enter your Registration ID and re-do your settings, but that's about it)