How to Convert from Hanzi to Pinyin

Miguel

状元
I know Mike and Pleco's team are working in a feature to convert big texts from hanzi to pinyin. But meanwhile I would like to ask you what do you think is the best solution for this (offline if possible). I've come to a few solutions but I'm still not completely satisfied with the result. I'm using Linux Mint 13 (Ubuntu 12.04 based) in my PC and Android 4.1.2 in my cellphone:
-Webpages:
http://easypronunciation.com/en/chinese-pinyin-phonetic-transcription-converter#result (my favorite so far)
http://www.purpleculture.net/chinese-pinyin-converter/ (has an export to doc function but I don't like the document too much)
http://www.popupchinese.com/tools/adso
I like the conversion from this sites, but the mayor con is that you need to be online to use them

-DimSum Chinese Language Tool (from mandarintools.com) for PC
It does a good job and would be my first choice but it crashes many times!

-Pinyin Ruby extension for LibreOffice.
Works fine, but I like that the previous options create a space between words. Sometimes they will get it wrong but most of the times is fine. It's like Pleco Clip reader letting you check the words one by one, I find it easier for me to read if I don't have to know which one goes with which word (separate the characters)

-Chinese Pinyin Converter for Android. Small app for 1$ in the playstore.
Bad thing is that it needs internet and in China you will need a VPN too to make it work. It works similar to the LibreOffice pinyin extension

So... anyone has a better option to do this? How do you convert from hanzi to pinyin?

How do you convert from hanzi to pinyin?

Hola, Miguel:

I use a desktop program called Wenlin. As you can see in the attached snapshot, after converting, in some cases you still have to choose one of the different possible pronunciations .

upload_2015-9-17_12-56-2.jpeg

Salud y buena suerte.

Last edited:

Miguel

状元
Gracias de nuevo sobriaebritas,
Had forgotten about Wenlin (since is not supported in Linux and have to use wine). I think the free version doesn't have Pinyin conversion either... But seems like a good option.

Gracias de nuevo sobriaebritas,
Had forgotten about Wenlin (since is not supported in Linux and have to use wine). I think the free version doesn't have Pinyin conversion either... But seems like a good option.

Hola Miguel,

Feel free to send me texts to convert (provided they don't have too many thousands of characters!).

Salud y buena suerte.

alex_hk90

状元
Hola, Miguel:

I use a desktop program called Wenlin. As you can see in the attached snapshot, after converting, in some cases you still have to choose one of the different possible pronunciations .

View attachment 1891

Salud y buena suerte.

How does it determine where to put the spacing?
I think that would be the hardest part of this as it already offers the users the option to disambiguate some of the pronunciations.

Miguel

状元
I guess all this programs/webs have their own algorithm (like Pleco), that separate the words according to probabilities and in most of them you can't change anything (I don't know Wenlin). I like the ones that note different pronunciations of the same character

Taichi

榜眼
Google translate app shows Pinyin by translateing a text from Chinese to Chinese. It also has offline mode (I haven't tried yet though).

Taichi

榜眼
I attached a screenshot of the online version.
No, I'm not in China.
I guess you need to use VPN to download the app and the offline language package from download Setting ->offline language.
I'm not sure how the offline version works as I haven't downloaded the offline package yet.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-09-18-18-28-26.png
    Screenshot_2015-09-18-18-28-26.png
    312.4 KB · Views: 894

Miguel

状元
Ok, so it's the Android/cellphone version. Yep, it needs vpn. I've been checking the equivalent browser app for Baidu (http://fanyi.baidu.com/), but it doesn't have the pinyin (or I haven't found it). Too bad because it usually makes acceptable translations between Chinese and English (as acceptable as an automatic translation can get). The TTS I find it very good too.

Sy

进士
I really like this title.
Lately I was interested in compiling a list of long names such as 美国.美国历史.汉字词典,……,etc
I used purple culture .the problem is
That it breaks up the 4 character term instead of continue on the same line.
I want 汉字词典to be Han zi ci dian instead of
汉字 Han zi
词典 ci dian
My project is to sort the list of character in pinyin order.

Do you think wenlin can solve this problem?

You westerner, I give you credit of read and write pinyin.
I am a character person.
When I see the pinyin ,I see the ocean of water...hard to distinguish .
By the way, every one is using iPhone ...on line uses minutes.
I use iPad with wi.fi ,all are free in a way.