How learning Chinese in China looks like? (school)

sangormam

举人
If someone, for example some adult from USa moves to China to work there, and goes to school for adults to learn language, how it looks like, generally?
They starts from teaching that person first only spoken language or characters or grammar or bit of everything?
Someone knows that?

BrianJ77

I lived in Beijing for four years and just returned home. A new student's exposure will be like this.

1) Pinyin and pronunciation rules including tones.
2) Basic conversation and vocabulary (Greetings, inquiries into the health and how busy you are).
3) Basic sentence structure that will be built upon.

After this, it varies somewhat with the teacher and the program. Some may choose to focus on conversation, others may direct the study more towards formal language development.

I have not run across teachers that require students to learn characters from the beginning. Instead, they allow them to use pinyin. However, most books at the intermediate level and above are written in characters only, so it is worth your while to learn them from the beginning.

If you have any other questions, please let me know.

denmitch

探花
The Confucius Institute funded by Hanban, the Office of Chinese Language Council International, has arrangements with many US universities to offer community languages classes (as part of their mandate to promote Chinese language learning). The classes I attended locally used college textbooks but were paced and scheduled for working people. We even took the HSK and the structure was just as BrianJ77 described. If you can't travel it would be worth searching your local university to inquire if similar arrangements exist there.

keffot

I studied at Fudan 7 years ago, they threw us straight into characters and "repeat after me". The Japanese kids in class absolutely destroyed us westerners. Good times...!

Whats a Chinese class like for Chinese kids?

kevinliuszu

Q:Whats a Chinese class like for Chinese kids?

A: we were asked to read out loud the textbooks for half an hour almost every morning in school until 4th or 5th grade.