Grand Ricci abbreviations

dcarpent

榜眼
Is there any possibility that the abbreviations embedded in the definitions in the Grand Ricci could be made active links that would pop up their full meaning, as given in the "Abbreviations et Sigles" list? The pdf of that list, which is available on the Grand Ricci web site, is 14 pages long! There are a lot of abbreviations. Some are intuitive, but some are not, esp. for a non-French speaker. This may be the sort of thing that would be too labor intensive/time consuming to justify, given the specialized audience of this dictionary. But I thought I'd make the recommendation. It would be a real enhancement of what is already a most valuable dictionary.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Doable, but hard because they're not clearly tagged in the data files - we'd have to go through and do a lot of manual find-and-replace checking.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Well we do want to fix it somehow - say by making it easy to highlight an abbreviation and look that up - but we're not sure how yet.

naphta

秀才
In think this still is a good suggestion. Even if it was not possible to automatically look up abbreviations, at least set up some kind of plain text general reference screen for the dictionary allowing us to do manual search, without needing to look for it on the internet, PDFs ...
That's something I feel is missing in Pleco. There's some general information about the dictionaries in the add-ons section. However, most print dictionaries come with an introduction explaining the editor's choices, abbreviations, references as well as useful tips for the reader. This would be particularly useful for the Grand Ricci whose entries contain a big amount of information, but I guess as well for smaller dictionaries like the Student's dictionary of classical Chinese...

Edit: The web based version of the Ricci gives free access to a lot of reference documents http://chinesereferenceshelf.brillonline.com/grand-ricci/
Edit 2: same thing for the Kroll http://chinesereferenceshelf.brillonline.com/chinese-english/

Last edited:

naphta

秀才
I attach a scanned copy of the "notice d'emploi" included in the print version of the GR (strangely enough, it isn't on the Brill site). It is particularly useful to understand all the numbers in brackets of the GRH entries and their reference system.

Attachments

• tmp_25294-GR Notice small-2045402121.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 449

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Yeah, they're working on getting us all of that stuff now but they're temporarily without an IT guy which is why it's taking so long.