Google spying on Pleco

LantauMan

进士
A heads-up to all. I just discovered that Google keeps a record of your voice activities through Pleco; that is, when you speak a word to get the translation. You can even listen back to your voice activities. I wasn't surprised to learn that this happens when you use "OK Google" voice assistant. But Pleco? Very creepy!

See and hear your own activity at:

http://history.google.com/history/audio/

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Interesting - we tap into the same API so it's not that surprising but is indeed creepy.

I would generally expect anything getting sent to a Google server to be logged, though, whether they admit it or not - if you're really worried about Google spying on what you're doing, your options are to a) get a non-Google Android phone, in which case Google won't be able to spy on you but the 公安局 will know what you ate for breakfast this morning, or b) get an iPhone, where you probably won't be spied on at all but you'll have to put up with all sorts of other Apple silliness.

(or c) get a Windows Phone, where nobody will spy on you because they haven't ported their spying tools to Windows Phone yet but you also won't be able to run Pleco or for that matter much of anything)