Flashcard system regularly crashes or doesn't work

Cubuk

秀才
I use flashcards often - most of the time, they work, however every once in a while there is a problem that halts my study session and makes me waste a lot of time trying to fix it.

I tried to add one last character to a flashcard category. This is the result:
http://imgur.com/a/RwCof

So I closed Pleco and opened it again. Same thing. Restarted my phone. Didn't help. Cleared cache. Scan for junk. Nothing. Every time, the same message.

So, nervous that my flashcards file might be corrupted or something, I decided to make a backup. This happened:
http://imgur.com/a/R8ZqF

I really don't know what to do. I need to prepare for my tests, but I'm stuck at trying to create flashcards properly. Can someone help me how to fix it?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Seems like our app is having trouble reliably accessing your device's flash storage. Are your flashcards on an SD card or in internal storage?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
They'd be installed wherever the rest of Pleco is - check the system Settings app under Applications, where is Pleco taking up most of its disk space?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
It's less a matter of space than of reliability - SD cards can occasionally get disconnected. Do you have enough space in internal memory to consider moving Pleco there instead?

Cubuk

秀才
No, definitely not. However, recently I had some issues with SD card disconnecting by itself and then reconnecting again. I know this goes beyond Pleco forum, but do I have to buy a new one?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Not sure - it could be an issue with the card or it could be an issue with the phone itself (and its connection to the card). Replacing the card would eliminate one of those two possibilities, but if the issue persisted you'd be stuck with a card you didn't need + a phone you now had to consider replacing.

Have you tried simply removing the card, wiping its contacts with a lint-free cloth (and those in the phone, if the internals of the card slot are exposed [as they are in some phones]), then reinserting it and seeing if it works more reliably?

Cubuk

秀才
Ok, I noticed the problem goes away after I connect my phone to the PC via USB (to upload some music, etc.). The problem comes back from time to time, but then I just connect the phone to the PC again.
I didn't fix the problem, but I treated some symptoms - maybe someone will find it helpful.

pdwalker

状元
It might be an issue with power management. When you're connected via USB, your device may not be shutting things down in low power mode at inopportune times.

Just a guess.