Flashcard repeat problem

Hi,

My flashcard test options is using: 'weighted' profile, card selection is 'frequency-adjusted' (don't repeat cards 'on'). Card is learned >=200. Limit new cards 'off'. Max number of cards "All"

Say, I just finished review a list of 100 cards. And I click 'begin new test' again, all 100 cards immediately re-appear for review.

1) How do I get it so that it will not review the ones I reviewed for the day already? It's strange. I thought that frequency adjusted with weighted profile will make sure I don't review the same cards again if I got them correct, until a few days later, or however long it needs to be?

2) The next day I want to review the ones I need to review such as the ones I missed, but I want to skip the ones I know well already (which I thought was going to be calculated for me with the weighted profile with frequency adjusted). But when I click on new test the next day, all of the 100 cards appear again, even though, I only missed a few the previous day.

3) I can make it not repeat if I use 'repetition spaced' option, but I thought repetition spaced is not as accurate as frequency adjusted with weighted profile in terms of how often a card comes up. Freq adjusted will determine when I will need to review the card again based on my score, is that correct?

I even tried resetting the 'weighted' profile, but that didn't help. What am I doing wrong?

Thank you for your help.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
"Frequency-adjusted" doesn't do that much, actually, it really just feeds the card's score into the algorithm that randomly picks cards. "Repetition spaced" tries to prevent multiple reviews on the same day but "Frequency-adjusted" doesn't manage them on that level.

1) You could avoid this with a 'card filter' ('last reviewed' 'not within' 1 day).

2) A filter could also do this, but it's not really what 'frequency adjusted' is designed for.

3) Actually quite the opposite - 'frequency adjusted' doesn't attempt to do any sort of multi-day management, all it really does it randomly draws cards from a deck but with greater odds of drawing a card that needs more help. There's no longer-term calculation about when you need to review a card again, that's solely the domain of 'repetition spaced.'

Thank you very much for your reply Mike.

So for what I want, I need to set it to repetition spaced. It sounds like there is an algorithm that repeats the card when it feels I need to review, based on my past performance with the card. So some cards that I know well will be reviewed, say, in many days or even weeks, but cards I don't know well it will automatically repeat for me the next day and the day after if necessary, etc. I just want to make sure It's _not_ like a set repetition, such as every card will be reviewed again every 2 day or something like that, no matter how I perform with each card.

1) I want it to be spaced according to how well I remember the cards based on the algorithm. Do I need to choose profile "weighted" for this?

2) Are there any other settings I need to adjust to make function in this way? (so it works like Super Memo, Anki, Full Recall, etc.)

Thank you

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
1) No, Spaced Repetion would do that; the card's 'score' determines how much time passes between reviews.

2) No, if you use the default 'spaced repetition' profile it should pretty much just work.