Flashcard prompt "allow duplicates": viewing flashcard details

etm001

状元
I currently have Pleco set to allow duplicates if a flashcard exists in any category. 95% of the time I don't need/want to view the details of the existing card, so this setting works well for me. However, 5% of the time I do want to view the details for the existing card(s), and I don't see how I can easily do that with "allow duplicates" enabled?

One though I had was to make the "allow duplicate" setting work a little more like the "prompt" or "card details" settings. So for example, I add the card as a duplicate. Then I tap 「+」 again, and instead of adding the card as a duplicate again, Pleco would show me the prompt dialogue or the card details. This seems a little more logical to me, as I can't envision a scenario whereby I user would want to add a duplicate card multiple times to the same category in a single session.

Edit: I should explain how I create/use flashcards, as it might lead to a different solution. I almost always create flashcard sourced from a book I'm reading. Often, the book is part of a collection. Let's say I have a flashcard category like this:

Chinese Folktales / Book 1 / Chapter 1
Chinese Folktales / Book 1 / Chapter 2
Chinese Folktales / Book 2 / Chapter 1

I don't want to duplicate words within a chapter, within a book, and (usually) not within the series. Otherwise I'm fine if the word is duplicated elsewhere in Pleco. Right now, the "duplicate in cat/non cat" setting evaluates the default category. For the way I add/use flashcards, it would be great if Pleco evaluated the hierarchy within which the default category resides for duplicates. If the word exists in the default category's hierarchy, a duplicate would not be created. Otherwise, the duplicate is created.

Thanks!

Last edited:

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
I think for this an option to allow duplicate cards only in different top-level categories would make more sense - double tapping a + feels unintuitive, you don't know exactly what's going to happen on that second tap. (the current duplicate options come with different box icons, this wouldn't)