fingerpainting on iPhone etc

F_Kal

举人
Greetings Mike!
I've been playing around with the free version of iPhone Pleco, but to be honest I still enjoy using the wm version. iPhone just doesn't feel right...In my heart, I wish that new versions of wm will be supported and that I won't have to be stuck with iPhone for the years to come... :(

Two comments (I didn't know where to post this, so if you think it's best to have it some other place, please to move the topic):
-The iPhone version UI is so...simple! The program looks so uncomplicated and straightforward that there is nothing to learn which I guess is nice
(but on the other hand adds to the feeling that it's no *real* software... Maybe it's the chaotic-menu-system syndrome that I have: Unless there are thousands of poorly-organized menus, I feel there is no interactivity going on :lol: )
-Is it only me, or are there also other people who don't like the finger-"friendly" touch screens?
Writing Hanzi is done only with a pen,pencil or brush, and using the finger is neither intuitive, nor helpful. This really doesn't help learning how to write a character (or even to recall one) since the "muscle memory" is not used correctly in the process.
Of course I know there is nothing to be done about it, the whole market is moving towards finger-enabled touch screens, but I still wanted to share this complaint of mine with somebody :wink:

character

状元
F_Kal said:
Is it only me, or are there also other people who don't like the finger-"friendly" touch screens?
Writing Hanzi is done only with a pen,pencil or brush, and using the finger is neither intuitive, nor helpful. This really doesn't help learning how to write a character (or even to recall one) since the "muscle memory" is not used correctly in the process.
Of course I know there is nothing to be done about it, the whole market is moving towards finger-enabled touch screens, but I still wanted to share this complaint of mine with somebody :wink:

I'm thinking about getting a couple of these:
http://www.gottabemobile.com/2010/02/25 ... ive-stylus
"A new capacitive stylus making the rounds lately is the ST C400 from HTC. Looks pretty slick, particularly with that transparent tip that lets you see where you’re inking, but as several people have pointed out, it’s actually a rebrand of the Dagi transparent stylus, which can be found on eBay for ~$12."

No affiliation, etc.

F_Kal

举人
absolutely awesome! :D That's something quite interesting I have to admit --Thanks for the cool tip ;)

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
F_Kal - you can still get your poorly-organized menu fix in Pleco on iPhone; just go into the "Settings" tab :) That should be improved upon in the post-flashcards releases, though.

Nice to see more and better work being done on capacitive stylii, though - hopefully in another hardware generation or two we'll have screens that can effortlessly juggle stylus- and finger-driven modes, there are applications that clearly favor each.