Feature Request - Sync Flashcards Across Devices

I am currently using Pleco on 3 different devices (1 iOS, 2 Android). It would be great to be able to have my flashcard lists automatically sync to my account across my devices!

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Thanks - we're working on that, tricky thing is that we really can't rely on any third-party file storage service (Dropbox, GDrive, etc) because none of them work reliably in China; about the only one that does is iCloud and of course that doesn't work on Android.

Thanks--what about Amazon Cloud? If not why not just offer it on iCloud plus one of the others, users living in mainland China and using Android would be SOL (they could always sync if/when they travel out of the country) but I would bet the vast majority of users either don't live in China, use iOS exclusively, or both.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
A huge % of our Android users are in China, actually, at least part-time; enough so that a sync service for Android that didn't support them would cover too small a fraction of our Android user base to be worth doing (especially with tablet growth generally slowing these days and the business case for sync increasingly iffy as a result).

Peter

榜眼
Please consider how this has be done with a personal server at home (or hosted privately).

One of my beefs with Anki is that it syncs to *their* server located in another continent. I am always adding new audio to my decks, and upload/download is rather slow.

Peter

榜眼
Also: Owncloud is an open-source alternative to the services mentioned here. I am not user so can't comment on suitability.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
To be honest that's really, really hard - we're not in the server software business, and maintaining + providing support with a public version of our online sync system (and making sure it runs OK on a variety of configurations etc) is a totally different beast than running it privately.

However, we do plan to use several geographically distributed servers rather than just one as with Anki - at a minimum I think we'd cover the US, Europe, and Singapore or Hong Kong, and depending on interest we might support a few more as well.

dagnai

How about syncing with Kuaipan快盘 or Baidu Cloud? Syncing of settings + flashcard would be just awesome.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Those won't work well outside of China - the challenge is coming up with something that works well in both places, and for that on Android we probably need to do our own service.

Peter

榜眼
To be honest that's really, really hard - we're not in the server software business, and maintaining + providing support with a public version of our online sync system (and making sure it runs OK on a variety of configurations etc) is a totally different beast than running it privately.

However, we do plan to use several geographically distributed servers rather than just one as with Anki - at a minimum I think we'd cover the US, Europe, and Singapore or Hong Kong, and depending on interest we might support a few more as well.

Understood. Just for info, my Anki deck is ~800 MB and most of that is audio.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Understood. Just for info, my Anki deck is ~800 MB and most of that is audio.

That's why this will probably be a (cheap) paid service :) (could offer it free if we had it on a more basic server, but that would present the same problems for us that it does for Anki) But cloud storage is very cheap these days, so a 1 GB deck shouldn't be a problem.