状元

Attachments

• Pantallazo.png
    Pantallazo.png
    3.6 KB · Views: 779

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Probably worth a shot; a previous version of ARC Welder might help too. Or just another emulation solution entirely, like BlueStacks - frankly ARC Welder has been degenerating in such an alarming way that I half suspect Google changed their mind about the wisdom of letting people run Android apps on desktops and is now trying to roll the whole thing back, through the standard Google tactic of making it suck and then quietly discontinuing it.

Miguel

状元
Too sad, ARC Welder is the best solution I had found for Pleco in my PC. BlueStacks doesn't support Linux and has to be run under Wine. Geanymotion was ok but it needs much more RAM.
I will try to downgrade but it seems that the ARC Welder version is tied to the Chrome version (right now they are the same...), so I guess that if you try to downgrade, it will eventually update to the newest version :(

Miguel

状元
Is there any way to skip the download of the main files in the ARC Welder version (like copying the main files, plecobundle plc... in the sd card in the cellphone?). Here in China sometimes might take a while and you also need a vpn service.

Last edited:

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
There's a configuration option in ARC Welder to redirect its document storage to a folder on your hard drive - do that and you can use a previously-.zipped copy of Pleco's data file folder.

Miguel

状元
Yep, I'm using that option. I think is the one that is mentioned in the manual I left in the first post. So far no crashes with Pleco 3.2.12

Last edited:

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Good to know - may simply be that ARC Welder doesn't like x86 code very much (even if it itself is running on an x86 device) and we should make an ARM-only 3.2.20 build for it.

Miguel

状元
Maybe that's why many of the last versions of Chinese apps (alipay, taobao, wangwang...) don't work with ARC Welder

Miguel

状元
Sorry to report that today 3.2.12 has crashed today (although I feel it is a little bit more stable and faster). If I find out what makes it crash I will let you know

Hello Everybody,

Pleco was running okay until a few weeks ago. I'm running a Windows machine with the following versions:
Are people running the latest versions okay without problems and the problem is just with my machine??

Thanks in Advance!

ARC Welder

Chrome
Version 46.0.2490.80 m

I get the following error:

Pleco
Details Launch Reload (Ctrl+R)

ID: ifmjoonkaegbncbbbgeghjphpjfbdfll
Loaded from: ~\Downloads\plecodroid-151026-website.apk_export_qeero
Inspect views: app_main.html app_main.html (iframe)_modules/mfaihdlpglflfgpfjcifdjdjcckigekc/gen_index.min.html
There were warnings when trying to install this extension:
  • Unrecognized manifest key 'arc_metadata'.

Miguel

状元
I had to go back to an earlier version (3.2.12) because it was crashing quite a lot. Right now I have a crash from time to time but it works much better

HuShifang

秀才
I'm a bit late to post here, but I've been running a generally comparable setup to yours Miguel, and haven't encountered any difficulties or degradations with ARC Welder (though I haven't tried installing any other Android apps). Maybe it's a matter of version?

For what it's worth, my current setup is: Linux Mint 17.2 Cinnamon 64-bit, ARC Welder & App Runtime for Chrome (Beta) 47.5021.508.9, Pleco 3.2.12, and Chrome 47.0.2526.73 (64-bit).

Miguel

状元
I suspect it also can be related with a lack of RAM memory. Crashes are just sporadic right now, and usually they happen when I'm opening a lot of things at the same time and ARC Welder demands a lot of memory. I have 2G of RAM and whenever I use it alone it works fine. But still, in my case, 3.2.12 works much better than later releases (at least till 3.2.19)

Last edited:

Miguel

状元
A few days ago Mike gave me the following suggestion about how to install Pleco in ARC Welder in order to make it more stable:
If that’s misbehaving on your emulator, try this: rename the application file from .apk to .zip, extract it, delete the /lib/x86 folder inside, package everything else back up in another .zip archive (with the folder contents at the top level, i.e. AndroidManifest.xml is at the top level of the zip file and not inside of a folder), then rename it back to .apk

I've been trying the last Pleco release 3.2.25 and I haven't had any problems so far. :)

Miguel

状元
Ok. I update the last post. During the whole week I've had 3-4 crashes, but still it is very stable, and when I start it again it works fine. I use it a lot (really a lot, sometimes is the whole day open in my pc), so it's a solution good enough for me in Linux.
I still haven't been able to find out in which cases the crash takes place.

Last edited:

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
FWIW, we've now removed the x86 binaries from our app entirely in our new 3.2.29 update - in staged rollout on Google Play and on our website at pleco.com/getandroid - so you should be able to run an unmodified version in ARC Welder now.

(x86 was more trouble than it was worth, didn't really improve performance or even compatibility vs ARM on x86 devices and caused a bunch of bugs, not to mention some annoying licensing issues)