end character aligned search

hoshi

hi, team.

at pleco, wild card search is useful but not powerful enough and satisfactory. because wild cardsearch lack the function to look up the word end with certain character.

that is to say when you want to look up word end with 化 or 县 for example, result pleco shown is not exactly i expected.

i would like to see at least end character alignedsearch.

to let matter simple, i set the search screen > list layout > Chinese-to-English to "head".

when use the search term "*县", result are nearly good but extraneous words "永德县新文茶厂", "不怕县官,只怕现管" appear.

please see pic.1

when use the search term "*化", result are nearly good but extraneous words "酒化酶", "开化史" appear.

please see pic.2

when use the search term "*化学", result are nearly good but extraneous words "防化学兵", "光化学反应", "光化学烟雾" appear.

please see pic.3

Aboveresult all shown pleco need extra end character alignedsearch.

so my suggestion is add $ option for the ending, add another ^ for beginning is more useful.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    179.3 KB · Views: 472
  • 2.png
    2.png
    93.5 KB · Views: 487
  • 3.png
    3.png
    64.7 KB · Views: 462

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Thanks - this should be supported in 4.0, we already support it for most search types now (just type a space at the end of your search) but not wildcard for performance reasons which will cease to be a problem in 4.0.

hoshi

hi, mike.

i tried little trick you provided (add space after character), but end result remain the same as without space.

please see pic.4

it is so perhaps because my xiaomi phone doesn't use vanilla android but added Chinese flavor. so it maybe xiaomi phone's quirk or maybe pleco's.

ideal situation is that even if i set the max matches number set to 500, i cannot find that setting at now though, result show exactly match the query. that is if matched number is 100, not need fill up 400 unnecessary words.

if version 4.0 resolve that, that would be great.

Attachments

• 4.png
    4.png
    81.4 KB · Views: 509

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Yes, as I said it doesn't work in wildcard searches yet (only in other search types) but that should be fixed in 4.0.