Do you know a reliable online chinese bookstore?

bodybag77

秀才
Hi Guys,
Do you have any hints about efficient and reliable chinese online bookstores that accept orders from abroad? (europe, to be precise).
I've found a lot of online chinese bookstores, but no one inspired me enough trust to give 'em my credit card :)
Let me know if you have any experiences about that, I urgently need to buy some books, and unfortunately China is not exactly around the corner to go buy them by myself :)

Thank you !
Ugo

Shadowdh

状元
Hi there, you can use Chinese Amazon to buy books but unfortunately I dont think they do an english version of their site or if you go on http://www.chinese-forums.com and look up the member Elina she has an online book store and I think she would inspire... I will be making use of her services when I get back to the UK thats for sure...

renovator

榜眼
I don't understand why you just don't order with your credit card. If you don't get the book in a reasonable time, just notify credit card company and they will remove charge. It is then up to the vendor to prove delivery or will get charged back. Any bookstore that invests in a secure server has https url for their checkout should be fine. Additionally several of these stores also carry seal of approval from verisign, everify, etc. I believe Amazon will ship to Europe and through them you can also access many smaller bookshops.

While in China I used the U.S. English version of Amazon to order books and have them delivered to me in Beijing. They showed up without issue and in a reasonable time.

sfrrr

状元
Yes, but how did you find them on the English language Amazon site to order them? Aren't there books on Amazon.com.cn that aren't listed in Amazon.com?

Sandra

I am sure there probably are books on the Chinese version of the Amazon site that aren't on the English site, just as there are also books on the English site that aren't on the Chinese site.

Anyway, while the English version of the site doesn't allow you to search using Chinese characters, I have had pretty decent search results using pinyin.

And if that is an issue with Chinese books not showing up on the English version, just use the Chinese version of the website.

bodybag77

秀才
Thank you very much for the replies...you're the best! :)
I gave a look to Amazon.com.cn, and they also have expeditions outside China. I take for granted that Dangdang has the same, isn't it?

Thanks again :)
Zaijian
Ugo

gato

状元
You mean if dangdang does overseas shipping? Yes, it does. Overseas shipping charge is 1/2 of the total order price, with a minimum shipping charge of 50 yuan. Still a good deal, considering that their book prices are much lower than that in many other countries.

http://static.dangdang.com/helpcenter/1836/6862.shtml
普通邮寄
海外地区 运费为总计商品原价的50%,运费低于50元按50元收取。
4-8周

heremo21

Hi Gato

I would appreciate your help here seeing that you have ordered via DangDang.com previously.

I made my first order and paid using my AMEX a few days ago. I checked this website out and from all accounts, it appears to be legit (I live in Australia).

Then I got an email from "shendan@dangdang.com" asking me to reply to the email and provide the first and last 4 digits of my credit card. I checked and the charges have not been made to my credit card. The status of my order on DangDang.com shows "subject to audit" (at least, I think that is what "等待审核" means).

I am really reluctant to send my credit card details, esp over email.

Please advise me whether this is normal.

Much appreciated!

gato

状元
Then I got an email from "shendan@dangdang.com" asking me to reply to the email and provide the first and last 4 digits of my credit card. I checked and the charges have not been made to my credit card. The status of my order on DangDang.com shows "subject to audit" (at least, I think that is what "等待审核" means).
I have only ordered from dangdang in China, with payment upon delivery, so I don't any experience with credit card payment with them. I don't understand why they would need to ask you for your credit card information. That should have been given when you ordered. What did the rest of the email from shendan@dangdang.com say? Does it look like SPAM?

"等待审核" could mean that they are still reviewing the order. It doesn't necessarily mean "audit" as in auditing your credit card.
Take a look at this post:
http://bbs.egou.com/read.php?tid=381748
今天下午下单的朋友订单都审核了吗?

heremo21

Hi Gato Thanks for your reply. Here is the email I received:

顾客:

您好。

感谢您使用首信国外卡支付在当当网购物的货款(订单号:#####)。为保障您的个人权益,现需要与您核实相关支付信息:支付卡卡号的前4 位、后4位及持卡人姓名。

订单号
持卡人姓名
卡号前四位
卡号后四位

在得到您的确认后,我们将及时处理您的订单。感谢您的支持与配合!

致礼!

当当网

客户服务部

* 当您再次回复时请将原信内容附于下方,以便您的问题及时得到解决 *

***** ***** *****当当购物更省钱,优质服务到您家***** ***** *****

当当网客户服务电话:010-51236699 4007116699

当当网购物指南:<http://www.dangdang.com/help/yijiyemian.html

当当网客户服务E-MAIL:service@dangdang.com

What do you think?

The link you gave me - do I understand it to mean that dang.dang.com is a bit slow with despatching its orders at the moment?

Thanks again!

gato

状元
It looks legitimate. Why don't you email service@dangdang.com and give them just the last four digits and your name for now? If Dangdang replies back asking for the first four digits as well, then you might consider giving them the first four digits.

I have ordered on joyo.com (now renamed amazon.cn) for overseas delivery about three years ago, and they didn't take these measures before, but maybe there has been an increase in fraud. Since they are not asking for the entire 12-digit credit card number, it might be ok.

ipsi

状元
Yeah, probably just for fraud prevention. Websites will often show the last four digits, just in case you made an error or used the wrong card or something. I also have to enter the last 4 in a few (not many) other places as well. I can't imagine they're very useful, given that you need the expiry date and CVV code as well.

I have ordered 3 times from dan dan and paid with paypal. A little slow to the US, but eventually got the books in good order. I used firefox with chinesepera-kun to navigate the website... I want to try Amazon since shipping seems to be faster, but haven't done that...

heremo21

Thanks guys for your helpful comments. I will give it a go!
I have ordered with Joyo fairly recently and they didn't have this extra precaution.

heremo21

oh how do you pay with paypal on dangdang? On my account there is an option to cancel my order, even though I have techically already submitted my credit card. Can I still cancel my order?

Also, the dangdang website seems to take forever to load. Is it just me (although I only have this problem with dangdang's website).

jleeyap

Can I ask the members if anyone has ordered books from amazon.cn recently and had them shipped to the US. I am trying to get a copy of Hanyu Da Cidian (3 volume edition) but I have heard from more than one source that amazon.cn frequently botches up packaging and you may get the books damaged or never get them at all. Any advise? I saw a copy when I was in China last year but I cringed at the thought of carrying it in my luggage.