Do You Have This Feature

Is there any way I can set the multiple choice questions in Flashcard to appear the way Trainchinese (another flash card application) does? One of my purpose of purchasing the flashcard application is that I was hoping that the self review mode can be able to display a new card after some seconds (the seconds can be set by me). For example, if set to automatic display mode, the self review can be able to display automatically after the second elapse. The idea of having to tap on the screen to move to a new card is really frustrating. Imagine if I have 800 cards, I have to tap on the screen for 800 times.

Apart from the self review, the multiple choice is also frustrating because each you have to type on the screen after card. Is there a way I can set it to work like Trainchinese flashcard i.e to highlight correct answer green for about 2 seconds each time I get it right and then will automatically move to a new card. If the user wants to view the card, he/she will simply swipe left and will see the previous cards that was just answered. You can downlaod Trainchinese flashcard to understand what I mean

Personally I have been enjoying your application but the current flashcard mode isn't working for me.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
No - timed auto-advance has been an intermittently requested feature which we'll probably add eventually, but most people seem to prefer the Anki / Supermemo / Flashcards Deluxe / Skritter / etc approach of revealing and then rating, so that they can focus on the cards they have the most trouble with. Auto-advance for us is probably going to be tied with audio flashcards / text-to-speech since we think that's the most interesting use case for it (kind of a dynamically generated equivalent to a Pimsleur-type lesson).

For Multiple-choice, I actually don't believe anybody has requested this particular change before - so you'd like to have it advance to the next card automatically a second or two after you tap on your choice? What about just having it advance to the next card immediately if you answer correctly but showing a message about an incorrect answer if you don't? (this seems preferable to me since you generally won't care about reviewing correct cards but will care about reviewing incorrect ones).

Having it advance to the next card immediately if your answer is correct but showing a message if your answer is incorrect( maybe highlighting the correct answer green and marking the chosen wrong answer red) is also great. It would be great to allow the user to swipe left if he/she wants to see the recent answer just as it is in Trainchinese. The reason is because sometimes a user might make a guess and the guess is right. The user might not be familiar with the words and need to take a second look at the words.

When a new word is added to flashcard, it shows something like "Card created (category "Category Name")". Is there any way it can show the total number of the flash card immediately without having to open the flashcard for example "Card created (230 words in "Category Name" )". The 230 words is the number of words in that category.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Swiping is actually a gesture we're wary of deploying in any particular screen because we think we'd like to use it systemwide instead - in our updated iOS app we have a sidebar for quick switching between tasks that can be brought out by a swipe gesture, and we think that works well enough that we may want to bring it to Android too; actually if anything it's even more useful on Android because the screens are so large that it's annoying to have to go all the way to the top of the screen any time you want to change tasks. (it's ironic that Google moved the menu button from the bottom to the top of the screen right around the same time that Android device screens were getting large enough to make moving to the top annoying)

We do have back/forward buttons in our tests now, though, accessible through the Back tab - are those not providing all of the information that you need or are they just too inconvenient to access?

Showing the number of words in a category on card creation is an interesting idea, and one I don't believe we've ever heard before - counting the number of cards in a category is a bit slow at the moment, but the architecture of the category system is about to get heavily overhauled to be faster / require fewer disk accesses and once it is this should be quite easy to add.

No - timed auto-advance has been an intermittently requested feature which we'll probably add eventually, but most people seem to prefer the Anki / Supermemo / Flashcards Deluxe / Skritter / etc approach of revealing and then rating, so that they can focus on the cards they have the most trouble with. Auto-advance for us is probably going to be tied with audio flashcards / text-to-speech since we think that's the most interesting use case for it (kind of a dynamically generated equivalent to a Pimsleur-type lesson).

For Multiple-choice, I actually don't believe anybody has requested this particular change before - so you'd like to have it advance to the next card automatically a second or two after you tap on your choice? What about just having it advance to the next card immediately if you answer correctly but showing a message about an incorrect answer if you don't? (this seems preferable to me since you generally won't care about reviewing correct cards but will care about reviewing incorrect ones).
Hi,

Does your system have an auto-advance now which will read the question and the answer?
I am currently using Train Chinese "train audio" app to do this and its really handy and can be played any time but it would be great to do it with Pleco instead.

pdwalker

状元
Showing the number of words in a category on card creation is an interesting idea, and one I don't believe we've ever heard before - counting the number of cards in a category is a bit slow at the moment, but the architecture of the category system is about to get heavily overhauled to be faster / require fewer disk accesses and once it is this should be quite easy to add.

I would very much appreciate this feature.