Disabe Touchflo scrolling in Pleco on HTC devices

ldolse

状元
I just picked up the Touch Pro 2, and while it's an overall great device, there are a few things about it driving me crazy. Number one being that Touchflo has advanced to a far more invasive degree than it was at a couple years back. This basically kills the ability to select text in any Pleco definition that contains a scroll bar, and also breaks full screen handwriting input for entries with scroll bars.

Here's how to disable Touchflo for Pleco (using Total Commander or similar):
1. From the root directory view in Total Commander, double Click \\Plugins
2. Double Click registry, then HKLM, Software, OEM, TFLOSettings, and finally TFLOIgnoreApps
3. Double Click 'Add Value'
4. Create a name, I used IgnoreAppPleco, leave the type as string, click OK
5. Double Click on the key you just created
6. Set the value to 'Pleco.exe' - no quotes
7. Close the registry editor

(re)Launch Pleco and Touchflo scrolling/tapping should be disabled, letting Pleco do whatever it's configured for. This should help any users having difficulties with Pleco on HTC's latest devices, and I do recall seeing a couple of complaints/returned devices.

Not sure if Pleco could potentially write to other portions of the registry, but I think a 'Disable Touchflo' option in the prefs which set this registry key would be very handy for HTC users. There is already an 'attempt to disable touchflo' in the settings, but this only attempts it for full screen handwriting and it no longer functions with the latest Touchflo. Setting this registry key appears to be the 'approved' method.

The Touch Pro2 looks like it has the potential to be one of the best Pleco devices yet, still working on how to get the most out of it, will post more later.

ldolse

状元
This is related, so easier to post here rather than start a new thread. The Touch Pro 2 and the Touch Diamond 2 have a touch sensitive zoom bar at the bottom of the screen. This doesn't do anything in the majority of apps, but this behavior can be tweaked via registry, and it could be used as a scroll bar.

I want to try it out with Pleco, but one must know the window class name of the program to set the correct registry entries. What's Pleco's window class name? - Edit: Never mind, found it, class name is 'PLECOENGINE'. I just set the registry settings described in the link. It does seem to let you scroll from entry to entry, but it's a bit difficult to control, not sure if the settings could be further tweaked.

Read more here:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthr ... 614&page=2

Edit: Seems that this zoom bar change made things pretty flaky (maybe because of Instant Access??), so I backed that out. The Touchflo disabling instructions in the first post are solid though, and recommended.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Thanks! We'd gotten some reports that that hack wasn't working on the Touch Pro 2, so I'm glad to see it seems like it still does in your case at least. It'd be easy to add these registry keys with both the Automated and Manual (.cab) installers, so we can try that out in one of the 2.0.4 betas.

Ldolse, thank you for this tip!

I had this problem after upgrading the ROM on my Touch HD: handwriting recognition was almost impossible to use; now it works like a charm.