Chinese language newspapers for adult learners

raoul

秀才
Hi,

I've heard rumours of newspapers that are published for waiguoren, but I've been unable to find out any details.

Are there newspapers like this published in China, and if so, can anyone point me in their direction? I really want a bit more topical reading material to advance my reading ability.

Cheers

Hi Raoul,

I share your pain. But I just returned from HK where I saw that the weekday HK edition of the Singtao Daily has an English page. And on this page the topmost feature is a Chinese newspaper article, and next to it, with Chinese terms in parantheses, is the English translation. A Rosetta stone of sorts.

I am looking to see if there are any American editions that offer this. In the meantime, I find that the commentary is an easier starting point than the news articles themselves.

I will let you know if I find more. Good Luck

raoul

秀才
Thanks Craig, I was getting a bit worried that I wasn't going to get any replies!

Do you know if the Singtao Daily is written in simplified or traditional characters? I assume, being in HK, that it is in traditional. I'd prefer simplified, but beggers can't be choosers I suppose...

You are right -- traditional characters. I don't know of a simplified character version. In talking to people in HK, it appears feelings are still very strong about the use of simplified characters, on both sides of the issue. My own feeling is that if I don't have to write them, and if I don't have to try to make out the smudge of white that a 12+ stroke character creates in a movie subtitle, then traditional characters are okay.

lmcjipo

榜眼
Re: newspaper for waiguoren

johnh113 said:
Dear Raoul,

It's not a newspaper, but it has newstories on-line, with the feature that when you roll over the Chinese character with your mouse, it gives you the pinyin and English translation.

http://www.newsinchinese.com/

John

Johnh113: I'm not the original poster but I took a look at the link and the webpage is amazing. Thanks.

minnes

秀才
I have used newsinchinese quite a bit myself. One of the nice features about it is that if you dont know the meaning of a word (espically useful in Country names!!) or how the characters should go together, rolling the mouse over it shows the characters (all that are included in that word) again, the pinyin, and the meaning of it
When I was doing a program in Beijing, it was actually recommended to me by one of my teachers.