chinese- enabled touchscreen phone with plecodict

ellie

I have wanted to buy Plecodict for ages, and as I am due a new phone and don't have a PDA, I was wondering whether anyone could suggest a phone which could run Plecodict, to save me having to buy two devices at once. I usually buy a phone which suppots Chinese and English, and there are a few which support handwriting input at the moment, so is it possible to combine all of these things, or is that wishful thinking :lol:

Thanks for any help.

renovator

榜眼
I use the HTC Touch Diamond and love it as phone, messaging, Pleco use, etc. I think you will find it has everything you are looking for and it is available unlocked so you can easily use it anywhere.

ipsi

状元
Yeah, basically any smartphone running Windows Mobile Professional (Not Standard!) (or Palm OS, techincally, but they're no longer recommended) will do what you want. I wouldn't necessarily recommend full-screen HWR as that may result in system instability or conflicts with Pleco, but things may have changed, and I've had no experience with it myself. I just use the Pinyin IME provided by CE-Star.

ellie

Thanks. I had been considering the Lg KC910 Renoir which is just out here in the UK, it has an 8 megapixel camera, wifi, GPS, touchscreen and so on and looks really nice. It's supposed to come with Chinese (and sveveral other languages) so it wouldn't need to be flashed which is great, but I don't think it uses Windows Mobile. So the HTC touch sounds like a reasonable alternative, if I can find somewhere to flash it with Chinese firmware.

renovator

榜眼
If you get the touch Diamond, just use the Pinyin IME provided by CE-Star. It is included with some of the HTC touch diamond phones and if not included, just order it for nominal fee.

ruisi1

I just purchased an English version of the HTC Diamond here in Hong Kong yesterday (they offer versions in either English or traditional Chinese), and it comes with CE Star on an installation CD. Pleco version 2 seems to work great with it. Incidentally, it was on sale for about HK$4,580... I guess as a more mature product, the price might start coming down.

renovator

榜眼
ruise 1 You will probably want to add a few tweaks to make your HTC ideal for use with Plece and make sure you have ROM 1.93xxxx or higher. GSEN is great as it allows you to rotate screen. There is more information on all this if you search under HTC on this forum

Shadowdh

状元
I use the HTC TyTN II/Kaiser/MDA Vario III (all the same thing) and its fantastic... so pleased I got that one in the end... good readability and easy to use, I flashed a cooked ROM and its fast and smooth, I use CE star for my Chinese and that works with no problems...

ruisi1

renovator said:
ruise 1 You will probably want to add a few tweaks to make your HTC ideal for use with Plece and make sure you have ROM 1.93xxxx or higher. GSEN is great as it allows you to rotate screen. There is more information on all this if you search under HTC on this forum

Thanks! I'll look into it.

Shadowdh said:
I use the HTC TyTN II/Kaiser/MDA Vario III (all the same thing) and its fantastic... so pleased I got that one in the end... good readability and easy to use, I flashed a cooked ROM and its fast and smooth, I use CE star for my Chinese and that works with no problems...

Would you like to post some screenshots on my wiki? The wiki address is published in the beta forum.

Personally, I'd like to see how the screen looks, to compare with my (rapidly aging) Palm Tapcis... :shock: