Cannot find launcher for screen reader anymore

Hi there.

I just got a new phone (Sony XZ1 Compact running Android 8.0.0) and wanted to create the launch button for activating the screen reader. Unfortunately, I cannot find that option anymore, I only found a way to start it through the Pleco app. On my old phone I had an extra button for starting the floating screen reader UI. Am I just overlooking something?

Thanks a lot for your help, Michael.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
No, Google changed the way launcher icons work in Android 8 and there's no longer a good way for us to create them like we used to.

Instead, I'd suggest that you add our Screen Reader Quick Settings Tile. Alternatively, it may still be possible to create a launcher icon if you do it from the launcher instead of in Pleco - check your phone's launcher settings and it may offer you a way to create links / favorites / bookmarks and let you choose Toggle Pleco Screen Reader as one such bookmark.

Thanks for the advice. I was indeed able to create a shortcut leading directly to the screen reader: long-pressing on the home screen --> Widgets --> Shortcuts --> Toggle Screen Reader (you can also add OCR/reader/flashcards).