buying a cheap PDA- how much memory should I go for

padjo59

I'm going to buy my first PDA and then buy the Chinese-English dictionary from Pleco. I'm starting at the bottom end of the market. What do you think is the best size of memory to go for?

I could buy a Palm ZIRE 21 with 8MB of memory. I believe that is adequate for the current dictionary, even if I have all of the usual calendar, address, contact features quite heavily loaded - which I will do.

I could alternatively go for a ZIRE 31 which seems to be not yet released but imminent and which has a colour screen and 16 MB. I don't know how much of the memory is actually free and usable on the 31 because of the new features that it contains compared to the ZIRE 21.

I know that Pleco are bringing out a new large dictionary in summer and I would probably like to buy that.

Is it better to go for 16 MB or is 8 MB quite enough? I will go for the 8MB if that is going to be enough.

thanks,

Padjo

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
I would definitely recommend the Zire 31, not only because of the 16MB but also because it includes an SD memory expansion slot (which the Zire 21 doesn't). There's no way you'll be able to squeeze the comprehensive ABC dictionary into 8MB of space, but even 16MB may be difficult, particularly if you're filling up the memory with other files - with the Zire 31, if you run out of memory you can purchase a 64MB SD card for a little over US$20 that'll give you more than enough room for all of the ABC/NWP dictionary files, leaving only 1MB or so of Pleco-related data that still has to be kept in RAM.

But if you're really trying to save money, the new dictionary should actually run pretty happily on an older, Palm OS 4-based device; many of these include not only memory expansion slots but high-resolution displays that put the Zire 31's to shame, and you can easily find a used one for under $100. In fact I've even seen some brand new ones on eBay in that price range. The Sony Clie SJ20/SJ22/SJ30/SJ33 are all decent choices, or if you prefer something by Palm Inc, take a look at the m125/m500/m505/m515 (though their displays are low-resolution and aren't as nice as the Clies').

KingCat

Sorry I'm Slow

So I had already bothered Mike with an email asking basically the same question before I saw this thread. I'm still in the market, so I've got a couple more questions if anyone wants to help.

First, are all current PDAs made with (nonremovable) rechargable batteries? My last one used AAA batteries, and I was more than happy with that. In fact, I don't think I want the rechargable kind. Whenever I've been travelling around China, I rarely find a place to recharge all of my gadgets. Batteries are dirt cheap in China (get what you pay for), and it's easy to toss some extras in a bag. I also think I use my PDA a bit more than the average user, even while travelling, so this would not only make the travelling problem worse, but also make a multi-hour study session difficult.

For those of you who have the more modern PDAs, what do you think of their batteries? Am I just being paranoid?

Are there any quality PDAs with alkaline batteries? I assume it'd have a black and white screen to save power as well.

Since most of those types have been discontinued, are there any decent websites that still sell them?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
I don't think there are any current Palm OS-based PDA's with replaceable (but rechargeable and not alkaline) batteries; however, the Samsung i500 smartphone does have a removable rechargeable battery and possibly some of the other Palm smartphones might as well (though not the ever-popular Handspring Treo). Many Pocket PC PDA's do come with replaceable batteries but we won't have a version of the dictionary available for those until the end of the year. Alkaline batteries have been gone from the PDA market for a while now, basically they're just too big/thick (even AAA's are too thick for most PDA designs) and don't have as high a capacity for their volume as rechargeables do; the last Palm OS device with alkaline batteries that I can remember was the Sony Clie SL10, which does have a memory stick slot and therefore should be able to run almost any configuration of our upcoming PlecoDict.

Really though I think you'd be better off investing in a standard rechargeable PDA and a cheap, portable battery charger - http://shop.brando.com.hk/ and many other places sell them, usually as "emergency chargers" or "travel chargers". Generally these consist of a simple, lightweight cable and a plastic case that accepts standard AA or 9V batteries and allows them to be used to power or recharge your PDA - this lets you extend your battery life almost without limit as long as you carry enough batteries with you.

That is what I plan to do - use one of those portable power sources that you can put batteries in, but I haven't got it yet. Has anyone used them? Do they work well?
I also plan to buy a charger for my Palm that will work on 22oV not the supplied 110V. The Palm version is horrendously expensive. I am looking at teh mobile phone chargers which are really light and dirt cheap, but haven't yet found one that has exactly the right voltage and amperage.
Bryan

MichaelK

秀才
Where abouts are you in China?
Because I'm in Shanghai (which I'm told is supposed to be the most "modern" "westernized" Chinese City.)

It's hard to get many things.

If you know an outta the "factory" (or custom for cheap) cables, I'd be very happy. Getting a cradle here for a an almost Western price is impossible. ( or I just haven't found the right truck stop).

I like Beijing better to shop for electronics. (at least you can haggle (I mean get North American prices)).

Sorry to go off topic.

I am in Yunnan, which is clearly behind Shanghai... But things change fast. However, I just came back from a trip to Taiwan and even there was unable to buy an adapter by itself. I think I shall resort to buying stuff I need over the internet.

MichaelK

秀才
Beware JCB

It took 6 months for my clothes to arrive from DongBei to Shanghai.
(oddly the same amount of time for my friends clothes to arrive back to Canada from the same local).

I don't know what they'd do with something that was valuable.
Probably tax it up as a warning to others or something like that.