Best PDA to run Pleco 2

jinji

I now have a Palm T/X which has worked fine with version 1 of pleco. But I was considering buying a windows mobile based PDA since I can change the battery on it. I was wondering which would be the best option. there are so many to choose from. I'm not interested in a phone based model, but would be interested in one that allows me the most flexibility for other programs besides Pleco.

Shadowdh

状元
Well I use a HTC TyTN II/Kaiser/MDA Vario III (all the same thing) and its fantastic, but then you might find that each person has their favourite...

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
The iPAQ 110 series is going to be our official non-phone recommendation, I think - fast and lightweight, plus more practically speaking it's about the only non-phone Pocket PC model that's still widely available.

You should still be able to find a lot of "Axim X50v"s on ebay. If you can find one that comes with a warranty, it's definitely worth the extra effort of buying it second hand just to get the fabulous 640X480 screens. I own three of them, actually, and they are perfect for dictionaries and flashcards.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
I'm a bit wary of VGA devices because there tends to be a pretty significant performance hit involved, but if you don't mind that the 210 would be a fine option too - certainly looks beautiful, even in 2.0 with its lack of ClearType anti-aliasing.

sfrrr

状元
stephanhodges said:
Just to help out, I found this fairly comprehensive review of the iPAQ 110
http://www.brighthand.com/default.asp?newsID=13511
The 210 review says the battery life compared to the 110 is almost double (about 8 hours "casual" use).

Worth comparing, depending on your wallet, of course. :)

Where do they get these figures? If I ever get more than four hours--more than two and a half hours--I'll have to take off for Bora Bora to recover. I love VGA on my PDA (an iPAQ 210/11/... running WM 6), just as I loved my VGA Axim x51v before that. The display is much more vibrant and crisp and LARGE. I also love the two memory card slots--I have a 16 GB CF card in one and an 8 GB SD Card in the other. I can see everything clearly and the display has more room for icons, etc.

I recommend it highly.

Sandra

mikelove said:
The iPAQ 110 series is going to be our official non-phone recommendation, I think - fast and lightweight, plus more practically speaking it's about the only non-phone Pocket PC model that's still widely available.

Is there a version of iPAQ that can be used as a phone? I am looking for something like the Palm TX but that can be used as a phone too. There is another Palm out there, I believe called Treo, but it has a huge keyboard that wastes space and a tiny screen, so I don' want that.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
There is a new one, actually, the iPAQ 910, but that has a keyboard-intensive design like the Treo. The phone you're looking for would be something more like the HTC Touch series - the new Touch Diamond models are very popular right now, though they're kind of pricey, but the regular HTC Touch is a perfectly decent phone too and the price on those has come down a lot.

Can I ask you Mike if with the Touch Diamond it is just a case of putting in the SIM card from my current China Mobile subscription, or would you need to buy a proprietary phone service package? Thanks.

fplanjer

秀才
mikelove said:
I'm a bit wary of VGA devices because there tends to be a pretty significant performance hit involved, but if you don't mind that the 210 would be a fine option too - certainly looks beautiful, even in 2.0 with its lack of ClearType anti-aliasing.

I've been using the 214 with Pleco 2.0. Bought it specially for use with Pleco and navigation, so I wanted a large screen.
I must say that I'm very pleased with it. Maybe performance could be better, but I have no other device with 2.0 to compare it to.

radioman

状元
I am looking for comments on the IPAQ 110

- Screen Display - I believe the IPAQ 110 resolution is not as good as the Palm E2's (my current device). I have seen others who have purchased smartphones and the screens were (I'm guessing) similar in total pixels to the IPAQ 110, but with a smaller screen area. I assume the screen for IPAQ 110 running B2 v5 looks "good enough" and would appreciate any comments relative to usability indoors and outdoors.

- Text Messaging - Is there an easy way to pass SMS messages coming into the phone to a Windows Mobile device to read and respond? While I would like Pleco to be able to read and compose messages, I am wondering if there is an easy way to use the IPAQ to devorce myself from inputting via the phone (if that is indeed even possible...) or at least to be able to read the messages on the handheld computer.

Ed

daniel123

榜眼
I have have some questions on iPaq 110 series compared to Axim X51v/x50v. The Axim runs on WM 5 but have a much greater display resolution. CPU performance seems to be similar - right? On eBay there are those Axim devices including 1 year warranty that are very much cheaper than the iPaq.

Is there any thing better on iPaq that is worthy to pay much more money? Where are the advantiges for the iPaq compared to the Axim or maybe other non phone PDA devices. What is the difference between Axim X51v and x50v?

THX for your advices.

Daniel

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
radioman - can't comment on the 110's outdoor/indoor usability as I haven't used it that much, the screen is indeed a bit less sharp than the E2 but characters are quite readable to my eyes at least. I don't know of any way to share SMSes between a phone and a PDA, though.

daniel123 - the Axim should be a fine choice, they are indeed nice and cheap and they seem to run 2.0 quite well. The X51v uses flash memory for internal storage, while the X50v doesn't, and while on Palm flash memory tends to make things slower / less stable, on Windows Mobile it actually works quite well, so for the sake of not having your memory wiped when the battery runs low I'd probably go with the X51v. The 110 doesn't have any specific advantage for running Pleco, it's just very widely available so for people who aren't willing to hunt around on eBay but just want to walk into a shop and buy something it's a good solid pick.

thph2006

进士
fplanjer said:
I've been using the 214 with Pleco 2.0. Bought it specially for use with Pleco and navigation, so I wanted a large screen.
I must say that I'm very pleased with it. Maybe performance could be better, but I have no other device with 2.0 to compare it to.

My eyes aren't that good so small text or not very bright screens tend to be a problem for me. Can you give me an idea how your 214's screen compares to something like an iPhone? Is text pretty readable or will I need a magnifying glass? Also, how do you do navigation, is there an extra device you have to attach to it?

Thanks! tom

RG7548

Hello All -
I am currently comtimplating purchasing the Palm TX to run Pleco on. I need a large screen and would like to have the best possible screen resolution for the cost points (approx 270USD). Is this the best PDA to purchase to run Pleco? I live in Hangzhou and have been thinking of purchasing a Chinese-English translator but realized for about 100 USD more I can have a PDA. All said and done the total expense will be around 380USD, PDA and Pleco.
Is this a good choice?
Thanks!

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
In general we're recommending Windows Mobile over Palm OS for 2.0, but if you want to get a Palm and don't want a smartphone the TX is probably the best bet.

A more general follow-up on this thread: it looks like Missing Sync (Windows Mobile sync software for Mac OS X) has now added support for the iPAQ 110/210 series; I haven't actually gotten around to testing this here yet, but the two models are now included in their supported devices list. So that should improve the situation for Mac users who want non-phone handhelds.

mamahuhu

Does anyone know if the following pocket PC has anything that will make it unsuitable for running Plecodict2?

HP IPAQ HX2100 / HX2190 Pocket PC Series

It has an SD card and is running Windows mobile 5.0 and has a 240X320 transflective TFT QVGA color screen.

Any reason not to get it?

thanks

mamahuhu