Best Coursebook for Learning Chinese?

Ten years ago when I first arrived in China, there were few coursebooks available for learning Chinese. The best tool I had was an interactive CD-ROM...until it stopped working--a scratch? I'm currently using the Spoken Chinese series but it's almost a decade old and not much better than what I started with. I'm only on Lesson 1 of the Intermediate but I find I'm constantly having to look up vocabulary that doesn't appear in the glossary. I've heard references to other coursebooks on this forum so I'd like to compile a list of favourites. I know there are quite a number on the market currently but I need something at the intermediate level.

feng

榜眼
Before I clicked on this I was going to make the smarty pants reply: "The text you use!" meaning that if you don't study, it doesn't matter; if you do study, it doesn't matter. Oh, of course, we all like a pretty book and lots of lively recordings. I do too. But having read your post now, which suggests you have been living in China for ten years and haven't learned a whole lot of the language, I think my first instinct for a reply is valid, albeit a little too old school for some :mrgreen:

I haven't been back to China for two years, but the New Practical Chinese Reader series looked nice. It's attractive, and so should be pleasant to use. It has six volumes, so you can work through from beginning to advanced. I looked at volume six a little and it seems it will take you (building on the first five volumes) to where you can wade into real Chinese as your seventh volume. Saying this, I must admit I did not look closely at this series, but for me a text is just a starting point. As long as it is not badly written or badly printed or badly laid out, it should do the job. It is a second edition and it is widely used. It can't be awful, right? The text is just a tool. Which shovel is best is something to consider when digging a ditch, but you have to the digging one way or another :D

加油!

feng said:
.... but the New Practical Chinese Reader series looked nice. It's attractive, and so should be pleasant to use.

That's your only criteria--"It looks nice"? That'll generally get you a good English coursebook since they're primarily written, edited and gone over with a fine tooth comb by those with a solid theoretical and practical background in language learning/teaching.

But education in China is not the profession it is in the west--there's no body of ongoing research into what works and what doesn't. Things made for the domestic market here fall apart or break. Progress is a western concoept. Someone with limited teaching experience writes the book, someone proofreads it and it goes to press. That first Chinese course book I used was a 'revised' edition but still had typos in the Chinese for god's sake. And most of the content was simply pulled straight from primary readers--shows you how much thought went into how the needs of foreigners learning the language may differ from native speakers.

Spoken Chinese, although written as conversations between foreign exchange students about life in China, differs little from that older series. The end-of-lesson glossaries in such books usually provide just a one-word definition with no indication as to the word frequency, synonyms, antonyms, etc. Such books are merely language presentation--graded readers. Without PLECO, I just wouldn't have the patience to look up 10+ characters per page that don't appear in the glossary. Even still, I question the value of looking up all those characters as the text provides virtually no practice with which to use them as does Practical Chinese Reader (am I right?)

Next time I'm in a big city bookshop, I'll look at Practical Chinese Reader and give you my opinion of it. Although it's a series that's at least 10 yrs old, I'd like to think at least the latest version (what year?) is far better than Spoken Chinese.

feng

榜眼
Next time I'm in a big city bookshop, I'll look at Practical Chinese Reader and give you my opinion of it.
I was just trying to be helpful (and realize I was not successful). Whether you like or dislike PCR or any other text series is not important to me. I am not looking for a textbook. Sorry to have interfered. Peace :D

No worries. Thanks for your comments.

I just hope to caution anyone looking for Chinese coursebooks to take a much closer look at them than I did.

Sander

I am a beginner, clearly. Currently I only know around 500 characters and can only make basic sentences than often get misunderstood here. However, I have examined a great deal of Chinese coursebooks already. On the internet, people have been harvesting Chinese methods for years and one can find 20GB torrents with a great deal of the currently available methods. If you are gonna start, I can recommend the following:

Pick a method that has several volumes so you don't have to switch coursebook
Pick a method with available audio
Depending on your preference (speaking/writing) pick a method that focuses on pinyin or characters, respectively.

I agree with feng, although after a bit more extensive research, that New Practical Chinese is a good method. It combines intensive speaking exercises with a lot of listening, and character writing. The lessons build up slowly and have a lot of exercises, making it an ideal self-study method. Moreover, the 6 volumes allow you to 'continue to the end' and you never have to switch method anymore.

alex_hk90

状元
I used the first two books of Boya Chinese (博雅汉语 初级起步篇1 and 2) and they seemed quite good. :)

gbraad

We own both New Practical Chinese Reader and Integrated Chinese and actually both are good books for learning/teaching the Chinese language, however... based on the cost, my preference would be to go for NPCR. These books are a lot cheaper and the included CD includes all spoken material (no additional cost). The books also explain everything very clearly and offers background information and is really up-to-date on colloquial usage.

I like the New Practical Reader and 口语速成.
The New Practical Reader doesnt look as nice and sometimes when you look at the pages it seems like it is way too many characters - a bit intimidating. They actually explain grammar and words pretty well though.