Best Chinese grammar book

zj

秀才
Anyone have suggestions for a decent Chinese grammar guide? The only thing I have now are just whatever is covered in my university text. But they are pretty poorly organized, so I was hoping to find a a decent single volume text.

ipsi

状元
Try "Schaum's Outlines - Chinese Grammer". I've got it, and it seems quite good. Useless for learning the language, but if you've got maybe a year or two under your belt, it's quite good as a reference, and for learning new grammer.

zhameng

Also try "A guide to function words in modern Chinese 现代汉语虚词手册 editor 李哓琪 / 北京大学出版社
It isn't a comprehensive grammar as such, but goes a long way to explain a lot of the tricky grammar points.

chao-ren

进士
Anyone bought these University of Leeds,UK editions?

1st Book Description
Product Details
Paperback: 434 pages Publisher: Routledge; 1 edition (December 22, 2003)
Language: English ISBN-10: 0415150329
ISBN-13: 978-0415150323 Product Dimensions: 8.9 x 6.1 x 1 inches
Shipping Weight: 1.4 pounds (View shipping rates and policies)
Average Customer Review: 8 Reviews
5 star: (3)
4 star: (2)
3 star: (2)
2 star: (1)
1 star: (0)
Chinese: A Comprehensive Grammar is a complete reference guide to Chinese grammar.
It presents a fresh and accessible description of the language, concentrating on the real patterns of use in modern Chinese. The Grammar is an essential reference source for the learner and user of Chinese, irrespective of level. It is ideal for use in schools, colleges, universities and adult classes of all types and will remain the standard reference work for years to come.
The volume is organized to promote a thorough understanding of Chinese grammar. It offers a stimulating analysis of the complexities of the language, and provides full and clear explanations. Throughout, the emphasis is on Chinese as used by present-day native speakers.An extensive index and numbered paragraphs provide readers with easy access to the information they require.
Features include:
· thorough and comprehensive coverage of the modern language
· use of script and romanisation throughout
· detailed treatment of common grammatical structures and parts of speech
· extensive and wide-ranging use of examples
· particular attention to areas of confusion and difficulty

2nd Book Description
Paperback: 230 pages
Publisher: Routledge; 1 edition (January 30, 1997)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 0415135354
ISBN-13: 978-0415135351
Product Dimensions: 9.1 x 6.1 x 0.7 inches
Chinese: An Essential Grammar is a clear and concise reference guide to modern Mandarin grammar. It presents a fresh and accessible description of the language, focusing on the real patterns of use in today's Chinese. The ideal reference source for the learner and user of Chinese, the grammar is suitable for either independent study or for students in schools. Setting out the complexities of Chinese in short, readable sections, its explanations are clear and free from jargon. The volume also features copious examples to illustrate language points; a detailed contents list and index for easy access to information; and two glossaries: one of grammatical terms and one of Chinese characters.

About the Authors for both books:
Yip Po Ching is Senior Lecturer in Chinese Studies and Don Rimmington is Professor of East Asian Studies, both at the University of Leeds.

thph2006

进士
I have both Schaum's Outlines Chinese Grammer and Chinese: A Comprehensive Grammar. The Schaum's book is lightweight in both depth and breadth of coverage but still pretty useful as a beginning grammar guide. The Comprehensive Grammar is a real grammar reference and therefore much more complete. Both include good examples of correct and incorrect usage but I now pretty much use only the Comprehensive Grammar as I always have better luck finding the answer in that book. It also has some very interesting chapters like one on "prosodic features", basically the rules of constructing rhythmic sentences, as is apparently the habit in native spoken Mandarin. Fascinating.

I bought Chinese: A Comprehensive Grammar when I returned to Canada. It's 5 times the price of any Chinese-published counterpart and worth it!

mihobu

秀才
I have several grammar references, including Schaum's, and I have found value in them all. However, if I had to choose only one to keep on my shelf, the one would be (hands down without a doubt) "Mandarin Chinese: A Functional Reference Grammar" by Li and Thompson. It contains excellent explanations and example sentences. The book is perhaps a bit technical at times, but it seems to be very comprehensive. Another thing to note, which may or may not be important to you, is that it contains no characters; everything is presented in pinyin.

Sarevok

进士
This is a good one:

现代汉语实用语法分析
(you can have a look at it here)

One of the best books I bought in China last year and one that I would definitely keep on my shelf (but preferably on my desk or even better in my hands studying :D) at all times. Not for a beginner as it is all in Chinese, but it is well organized and rich in the much needed example sentences and excersises (and there are detailed explanations for some of them to help the student understand why the correct answer is B and not A, C or D)

Shadowdh

状元
Sarevok said:
This is a good one:

现代汉语实用语法分析
(you can have a look at it here)

One of the best books I bought in China last year and one that I would definitely keep on my shelf (but preferably on my desk or even better in my hands studying :D) at all times. Not for a beginner as it is all in Chinese, but it is well organized and rich in the much needed example sentences and excersises (and there are detailed explanations for some of them to help the student understand why the correct answer is B and not A, C or D)

Wow that looks good, and I have put that on my list of books to buy to take back with me... thanks for the tip.

zj

秀才
Thank you for all your replies to my post.
Lot of choices, but I appreciate the help. Sarevok's suggested "Modern Chinese Practical Grammar Analysis" is the same book that my Chinese teacher used at Ningbo University. It is thorough, a little technical for my needs, but good for getting a killer score on the HSK.

thanks all

risandres

秀才
I bought:

Mandarin Chinese A Functional Reference Grammar
by Charles N.LI & Sandra A. Thompson
The Crane Publishing Co., Ltd.

There are two versions, one in Chinese and other in English.
The good of this book for me is can be used as reference guide when I have doubts because my chinese class books with the grammar are totally a messy.

windstone

I have Schaum's and it's ok. I highly suggest A Guide to Proper Usage of Spoken Chinese by Tian Shou-he. It has a list of commonly confused grammar particles with examples.

I find Schaum's too easy. If you've had more than two years of Chinese, it is a nice review. Even after years of Chinese, I find I can pick up Tian's book over and over and say to myself...oh, I've been saying that wrong. Amazon has it.