Apple IPAD Mandarin Female Voice now speaking Cantonese?

IDroid

I am using the paid add-on of the Pleco Male TTS Voice only, and use the Apple Mandarin Voice for the Female TTS.
Suddenly, perhaps after my IPAD installed IOS 9, the female TTS is speaking Cantonese.
Ive done all the obvious, gone to audio settings and rechecked to make sure the cycled sentence audio is set for Pleco Mandarin Male and Apple Mandarin Female, etc....
Even the "Use TTS if no recordings" for Headword audio produces some very interesting sounds as it cycles to the Female voice when it calls upon TTS, 车租车 for example.
Anyone else run into this problem?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Have you activated one of the Enhanced voices in Settings / General / Accessibility? If so, deactivate it and delete its data files, and then reboot your iPad - the Enhanced voices seem to be bugged on iOS 9.

IDroid

Actually, I've never ventured into that Accessibility section of the Ipad, but went there to double check everything and no, no Enhanced Voices are activated..

Am I the only one that has run into this issue since the update? Very strange.

BTW, the Siri Voice is still speaking Mandarin.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Only report we've had of this so far, yes - we had a few reports of Cantonese TTS bugs but they all related to that Enhanced voice issue. Could you PM me a backup of your Pleco settings (bottom of the "Settings" screen, then email it via File Manager)? Also, exactly which audio add-ons have you purchased / installed?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
The enhanced voice thing seems to help, actually - go into Settings / Accessibility, set it to whatever it's not set to now (both for Mandarin and for Cantonese), reboot your phone, and try TTS again.

李世杰

I am not sure what you mean. Do you mean to activate the "VoiceOver" option? this is the feature that whenever you touch something it speaks the words.

李世杰

Basically no matter what I do, what settings I change, helps. Now I can't even hear the mandarin voice, only CantoneseI even deleted and reinstalled the app to no avail.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
You don't actually need to activate VoiceOver, just go into the system Settings app / General / Accessibility / VoiceOver / Speech, add "Chinese (China)" and "Chinese (Taiwan)" and "Chinese (Hong Kong)" as languages if they're not added already, then tap on the (i) button next to each of them in turn and make sure that the first "default" voice is the one checked. Then, reboot your iPhone and try audio in Pleco again.

李世杰

Hey Mike, I am the guy you have been emailing back and forth. Instead of making a new thread I just attached some photo's here from my phone.

Attachments

• IMG_0053.jpg
    IMG_0053.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 577
  • IMG_0055.jpg
    IMG_0055.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 582
  • IMG_0054.jpg
    IMG_0054.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 570
  • IMG_0052.jpg
    IMG_0052.jpg
    173.8 KB · Views: 670

李世杰

So whats going on here is that I tok Mike's advice, went into Settings app / General / Accessibility / VoiceOver / Speech and set my settings as followed... Now the audio works properly in Pleco.