Adding custom phrases?

Eek123

Sorry if this has already been answered; still exploring the forum! Is it possible to add and save custom words/ phrases in Pleco that we come across? Thanks for the help!

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Eek123 said:
Sorry if this has already been answered; still exploring the forum! Is it possible to add and save custom words/ phrases in Pleco that we come across? Thanks for the help!

Yes, though we don't draw much attention to it (still a few refinements away from really being happy with it): see

http://www.pleco.com/ipmanual/dict.html#userdict

The biggest limitation right now is that it doesn't support full-text search (so no finding English words in Chinese-English definitions) - that should be included in the next major update, though, we're already testing support for it on Android.

yuvalcho

举人
hey.

i have a question about creating your own...

in PLC dict u have also exmaples which r completely separated from the the definition. is there a way to do that as well in the custom cards? cause when write the exaples they appear in the definition, though sometime it's useful as while doing flashcards i dont have to look for the definition in the dictionary just for the emaples, but anyways...is there a way?

if there isn't one...why?
i think that in the Edit Entry window should b an option for examples...they do help.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
yuvalcho said:
in PLC dict u have also exmaples which r completely separated from the the definition. is there a way to do that as well in the custom cards? cause when write the exaples they appear in the definition, though sometime it's useful as while doing flashcards i dont have to look for the definition in the dictionary just for the emaples, but anyways...is there a way?

if there isn't one...why?

Not supported yet, basically because we're still trying to make some decisions about how that works on our own end - how to tag / store / etc example sentences. If we change our minds about something here, we can easily issue new versions of our dictionaries to use it, whereas if we want to change something in user dictionaries it's much more complicated and has much more risk of screwing up people's carefully-developed data.

But the tentative thinking is that example sentences ought to be stored in a separate data table instead of just being integrated into the text of user dictionary entries - that way you can pull up the same example from multiple entries without having to fiddle around with copy-and-pasting it. Ideally you'd have a user database of example sentences and some sort of UI to let you search for / point to examples in that database along with examples from our dictionaries.

But in the meantime, giving people a way to tag text in a particular user entry as an example sentence is just going to complicate things later on, and to be honest it's not something we've had that many requests for, so we think we can afford to wait and do it right.