Ability to check multi-syllable words separated by particle

egrebnev

I sometimes miss a feature in Pleco reader. There is a number of Chinese words that consist of two or more characters, but that are perceived as one word (such as 厚脸皮). Sometimes a particles comes in between (厚着脸皮), and the Reader fails to offer a correct translation.

Could it be possible to parse the tapped fragments for common particles so that 读过书 would be shown as (读书, to study, with the aspect particle 过)? I think that this feature would really improve the Reader experience.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Re: Ability to check multi-syllable words separated by parti

egrebnev said:
Could it be possible to parse the tapped fragments for common particles so that 读过书 would be shown as (读书, to study, with the aspect particle 过)? I think that this feature would really improve the Reader experience.

Good idea - I don't suppose you know of a place with a comprehensive list of aspect particles, do you? (we can easily list all of the common ones, but I want to make sure we don't miss something rare or old or dialect-specific)

egrebnev

mikelove said:
Good idea - I don't suppose you know of a place with a comprehensive list of aspect particles, do you? (we can easily list all of the common ones, but I want to make sure we don't miss something rare or old or dialect-specific)
Unfortunately, I do not have anything fully suitable at hand, but here's the best compact reference that I've been able to locate with google: http://baike.baidu.com/view/146650.htm

mfcb

状元

how about crowd sourcing these?

in the reader just make it possible to send you fragments, that are not covered, like your "report wrong entry" thingy...

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member

egrebnev said:
mikelove said:
Unfortunately, I do not have anything fully suitable at hand, but here's the best compact reference that I've been able to locate with google: http://baike.baidu.com/view/146650.htm

Thanks!

mfcb said:
how about crowd sourcing these?

in the reader just make it possible to send you fragments, that are not covered, like your "report wrong entry" thingy...

I'm not sure if there are enough to justify that, though in general having a direct reader "report missing" link would be interesting if we could find a way to keep it out of people's way.