3.2.0 Bug Report / Feedback Thread

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
To save time, here are a couple of bugs we've already fixed for 3.2.1 (but left in because we didn't want to pull the update + make people wait another week for an iPhone-6-optimized version):
  • Fixed a bug that could cause “repeat incorrect during session” cards to appear multiple times at the end of a test.
  • Fixed a bug that could cause erroneous extra characters to be appended to the end of example sentence flashcards.
  • Fixed a bug that caused the popup reader to ignore punctuation marks in determining word boundaries.
  • Fixed a bug that inserted extra newlines before auto-generated Cantonese readings in user dictionary entries.
  • Fixed a bug that could cause toolbars to overlap PDF documents until they were scrolled / zoomed in.
  • Fixed a bug that could produce incorrect results for some full-text searches in SENTS. (already existed in 3.1)
  • Fixed a bug that could cause slow loading of the File Manager screen. (already existed in 3.1)
  • Fixed a bug that made the keyboard / radical buttons inactive in transparent handwriting when handwriting input is turned off. (already existed in 3.1)
We've also already restored "Share Files" support (in fact it's much more reliable than before now). We plan to submit 3.2.1 in a day or two, waiting on a minor font update delivery plus the first few days of crash logs from 3.2.0.

Also, if you're experiencing issues with handwriting input, switch to something other than the iOS handwriting keyboard - that keyboard seems to interfere with ours (even when it's disabled / hidden). We've worked around that for 3.2.1 too.

Last edited:

JD

状元
Two questions
1). Is sending the crash logs turned on automatically, or do we have to do something to enable/allow it?
2). Where/what is the "lyrics reader" mentioned in the release notes?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
1) After Pleco crashes, it'll pop up an alert on the next run offering the option to submit crash logs. (and do this automatically or manually in the future, or disable it entirely)

2) It's an option under "Reader" in the sidebar menu - lets you read embedded lyrics in podcasts etc while listening to them.

Paul Duke

进士
Couple of issues related to the Lyrics Reader.

-- Lyrics Reader button in the Favorites Menu does not work (it highlights, but there's no response). I tried deleting it and re-adding it, and moving it to different positions. No luck.

-- If I start a lesson from the Music app, then switch over to the Lyrics Reader, hitting the play/pause button advances me to the first lesson in the new "Lyrics Reader List". Would be better if I can stay in the lesson I'm listening to.

-- Is there a way to edit or delete lessons from the "Lyrics Reader List"?

-- Thanks for restoring the Playlist choice to the options at the bottom of the music picker. Much appreciated!

I would humbly suggest you could simplify your coding tasks by not messing with your own "Lyrics Reader List" and just tell people to make a playlist of items they want to use in the Lyrics Reader, then selecting that playlist.

In fact, what I've found works the easiest and fastest for me is to choose the lesson from the Music app, then pop over to the Lyrics Reader in Pleco. Since I choose music from the Music app all the time, I'm very familiar with how to find and choose something in that app. With this new Lyrics Reader List I have to learn a new set of commands to play a lesson.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
@Paul Duke - That actually isn't supposed to be a Favorites item, I'm afraid - doesn't look like we ever wrote code for it.

The "lyrics reader list" is actually a workaround for the fact that app control over the systemwide music player is rather buggy - we can't reliably navigate playlists within our app's UI (also turned out that that was the reason why we didn't support them at all in our music picker in 3.1.4). So having our own playlist system, while a bit cumbersome, gives us something that we can be confident will work correctly.

Editing / deleting items could be a possibility in the future, yes - advantage of having our own list.

Last edited:

Paul Duke

进士
Thanks for the reply as always!

For what it's worth, from a user perspective, the lyrics reader in 3.1.4 was the easiest and most reliable since I started using Pleco on iOS however many years ago that was, 2008 (?) on an iPod touch...

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
I thought you were unhappy with that lyrics reader because of its lack of support for playlists or audiobooks - was that not the case?

We could add another lyrics mode that just does whatever the current track is, I suppose, though we might have to pull it in a future update if Apple broke it.

Paul Duke

进士
Hi, I didn't mean to seem contrary or ornery. Was just trying to keep it simple and was only referring to the subject of whether the lyrics reader was buggy.

Once I (like a doofus) found the simple workaround (as I mentioned in the other thread) of choosing the lesson in the music app, then switching over to Pleco, it worked great.

I personally don't think you need the extra complexity of having to go through Pleco and make a playlist; but I was assuming, as I mentioned before, that it's simpler to rely on the music app. Was hoping I could save you some trouble.

(I'm not a software guy and I don't know anything about the music app, but I am a music guy and I can tell you I hate the iOS7 and iOS8 music app from a user perspective... it made it much much harder to simply pick and album and play it. And adding all your iTunes music in the cloud to the lists was just bonkers. I now use a $1 app called Picky which makes this simple and easy again to play music.)

Thanks again.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
@Paul Duke - no problem. I do think in general that showing whatever's playing now in the iPod is a cleaner UI, I'm just wary of relying on it too much.

@goldyn chyld - no, we don't currently support punctuation in our search index.

I'm not sure it's been reported or not:
During a flashcards test in portrait mode, I don't see the button "check answer" (that I see on the right hand side when in landscape mode).
Note: I have uninstalled the writing add-on in order to be able to fill in Chinese characters using the iPad keyboard.

2014-10-12 18.08.06.png 2014-10-12 18.08.15.png

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Hmm, that one sounds like an iOS 8 bug - guess it's logical that it wouldn't have been reported since it's so difficult to access this feature :)

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Update: double checking it actually looks like that's missing intentionally - tapping on the return button on the keyboard it has the same effect.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Use the Batch function to automatically generate simplified headwords for it - should work after that. You may need to also check the box to replace the existing ones since it looks from the files like they're set to use traditional in both the simplified and traditional fields.

The "experimental" character components breakdown seems to have been updated recently (not sure whether that's in v3.2.0 or the near-simultaneous unihan update, or if I just missed it earlier).
It feels better overall, with one noticeable improvement being the mention of alternative pronunciations for individual characters when they're listed as parts of another character. But I noticed two things:
Simplified and traditional versions of the same character are listed twice in the "component of:" list. Maybe this has always been the case, but for some reason it really stuck out to me this time and looked different from what I remembered. I can see arguments for this being intentional/the better way, though, so I'm just pointing it out.
There are also weird internal numbers visible in various places. Ex: search for 恢, then go to the Chars page. The component 灰 is listed as "huī or 32188.040."

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Mostly Unihan-related, but thanks!

I believe we've always listed simplified and traditional there - not always a 1:1 mapping so we think it's important to let people pull up the particulars of each character for that reason.

Seeing those codes too - looks like we extracted a few Mandarin pronunciations incorrectly. Thanks.

koreth

榜眼
Don't know if it's new in 3.2.0 or just happens to have started happening to me recently, but I now get an iCloud "Version Conflict" popup every time I switch between Pleco on my iPad and my iPhone, even if I haven't touched the flashcard system on the other device. Maybe clearer:

1. Launch Pleco on iPhone. Get version conflict popup, pick most recent version (which is the one from that same iPhone). Do flashcard testing.
2. Launch Pleco on iPad. Get version conflict popup, pick most recent version (the one modified by the flashcard testing in step 1). Read a few pages of a book in the document reader.
3. Launch Pleco on iPhone. Get version conflict popup with the same versions as were listed on the iPad -- that is, reading the document on the iPad didn't cause a new version to be created.

It's not a huge nuisance -- I just tap the most recent item in the list every time -- but I do wonder if, having started happening, it's ever going to stop.

I should add that I do sometimes add flashcards from the iPad when I'm using the reader, but that's something I only do occasionally and the version conflict popup is appearing regardless of whether or not I've done so recently.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
It's actually an iOS 8 thing - we haven't yet found a way to work around it on our end. Our best suggestion at the moment is that you disable iCloud sync altogether on all of your devices, delete the iCloud version of your flashcard database, wait a few minutes, then re-enable it on just your iPhone, wait a few more minutes, and re-enable it on your iPad (choosing the option to use the flashcards that are in the cloud rather than those on your phone).