3.1.4 Bug Report / Feedback Thread

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
You know what to do.

Particularly appreciate feedback on the new male TTS from those of you who've downloaded that - we dropped female TTS from the Basic bundle because we thought some people might prefer it to be cheaper + to use the system TTS, but Apple doesn't offer a male one so we're considering whether it might make sense to raise the price of the Basic again and add that male TTS module.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Thanks - fixed now, though you may need to reload; pleco.com/ipmanual in Safari will also bring up the current manual.

scykei

榜眼
I have one urgent request:

I know about adding the sidebar button for jumping back to the dictionary search and automatically pulling up the keyboard, but I really think that a proper 'exit button everywhere' is necessary. After going through hundreds upon hundred of searches within the past month, I found that the slide + tap motion is way worse than a tap (sidebar button) + tap (dictionary) + tap (X button to clear search field) motion. This is in fact, a huge stepback from the previous version if you're doing tons of searches.

Is it possible for this single button shortcut to be implemented? I should have requested this earlier because I need this in my 4th gen iPod touch that runs iOS 6.

Second less urgent request:

Is it possible to reimplement the 典 button when I'm browsing a specific dictionary? The current 'Browse Dictionary Entries' function is hidden in the options and it's not at all meant for general browsing. I used this function a lot in the old Pleco and I would really like to have it back. I was playing with Pleco on my old 3GS that hasn't been updated yet and I realised how much I missed that feature.

Also, I browse on both my iPad and my iPod, and the fact that the 'Jump to entry' arrow when you highlight a word is located in a different location on the iPad and iPod throws me off every time. On the iPad, the arrow is on the bottom left and on the iPod, the arrow is on the top left. I really feel that the location should be consistent across devices.

Kris

秀才
When I test myself and choose fill-in-the-blanks as test type, it happens very often that Pleco starts out in the second or third syllable box (I don't know exactly when this issue appeared, but it was definitely before the last update). So while I am rushing through the test, I unintentionally mispronounce words, even though I know them. It sometimes fucks up my statistics. It's not that big of a deal, but can be annoying, because you always have to keep an eye on the empty boxes while also concentrating on writing the words correctly.
So, could you please fix that bug? Would be great.

Btw.: I am using Pleco on an old Ipad Mini. Thx

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
@scykei - we've already got a shortcut for that; long-press the sidebar button and it will instantly jump you back to the dictionary. Long-press it again and it will jump you back to whatever section you were in previously. On iOS 7 you can also do this through the "Favorites" menu but that's not supported on 6.

Browse is also accessible quickly through a long-press - long-press an entry in the result list and tap "Browse" in the popup menu that comes up.

The popup reader toolbar interface needs to be redone - didn't have time for it in 3.0/1 - but that is indeed confusing, yes.

@Kris - thanks; didn't know about this bug before now but it should be fixable in 3.2 if not before. You can override an incorrect answer by tapping on the 'undo' button in the 'triangle' tab (you may need to go back to the previous card through the 'back' tab first).

scykei

榜眼
Oh that's convenient. Thanks! I really didn't know about these shortcuts. This is amazing.

Is it possible to add a shortcut to jump to other dictionaries while in the browse menu of one dictionary?​

Paul Duke

进士
Suddenly in the lyrics reader, the option to choose playlists is gone completely. I assume this is a bug/inadvertent change?

It's much much much easier to find content I want to read in the lyrics reader if make a playlist (for instance, a playlist of Chinesepod lessons) rather than try to find stuff in the menus, especially because Apple is now listing everything you've ever bought in iTunes Music Stores, whether it's on your phone or not.

Hope this can be fixed ASAP!!!

thanks, PD

Paul Duke

进士
If it won't be a fast fix, can I go back to 3.1.3 by deleting 3.1.4 and moving it into the Mobile Applications folder from my Time Machine backup? Will I lose all flashcards and settings?

Any way I can go back and save flashcards and settings?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Yes, we removed Playlists so that we could add an option for Audiobooks. Fast fix is unlikely since we don't currently have any other major bugs that would justify a 3.1.5 update, so reverting to 3.1.3 in the way you describe would probably be the best workaround for now. (sorry about that - didn't realize anybody was using Playlists in this way, in fact just in general the Lyrics Reader is one of our least popular features)

Paul Duke

进士
Thanks for the quick reply.

Adding the Audiobooks option would be okay (but playlists is much better) if it worked properly, but it's not working properly on either my iPhone or iPad with 3.1.4.

I have all my Chinesepod lessons marked as Audiobooks. With 3.1.4 I open the lyrics reader, click on the musical note icon in the upper right to get a list of files. That gives me the list by Album -- Advanced, Upper Intermediate, Media, Etc. But if I click on Advanced, instead of getting list of the Advanced lessons, it simply goes to one of the lessons (first one alphabetically? hard to say, because the names are in Chinese) and starts playing that lesson. And there are no controls to choose other Advanced lessons -- for instance to move to the next track (which would be inconvenient anyway). So no matter what I can only listen to one of the lessons in any one album.

So there's a bug in there too.

It makes much more sense with Apple's new iCloud policy (list ALL songs you've ever purchased -- in my case that's hundreds) to give users the ability to choose from playlists rather than choose by song or album or artist.

Anyway, will I lose all settings and flashcards if I delete Pleco and then try to reinstall 3.1.3.?

Arghhhh....

And I love the lyrics reader and use it every day! People who are studying Chinese seriously and aren't using it with lessons from Chinesepod (or whoever you prefer) are really missing out! It's a great feature and by far the fastest way to integrate reading study with listening study. The feature to pause playback when looking up a word is fantastic!!!!!

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Got it. Sorry about that. You'd lose your settings, but if you back up your flashcards before reverting to the old version you should be able to keep those at least.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
BTW, did you find the lyrics reader song picker system in our old app (before version 3) acceptable? That one is supplied by Apple / trivial to use and we're thinking about going back to it so that we no longer have to worry about potentially doing things in buggy / incompatible ways.

Paul Duke

进士
Wow, I really don't want to spend 30 minutes sorting through all the settings on two devices.

Will there be a fix for the current Audiobooks bug soon, ie in the next few days?

The before-version-3 version was tedious but worked. Playlists is the best choice. I suggest you remove Songs or Artists and replace it with Playlists. Songs and Artists are basically interchangeable -- if you choose Artists, then you just continue through menus to a song list anyway.

But playlists allows people like me to make a conscious list of the things that are most important for me to study, in the order I want to study them, and it makes it really fast to get to them.

I was really happy when the just-removed playlist function was added. It's much better.

thanks as always for listening,

PD

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
No - even if we released an update specifically for that bug, which I don't think we can justify doing (the aggregate hassle of making every single Pleco iOS user download an update is greater than the hassle of this one bug for the small % of people who use Lyrics Reader), it would take Apple at least a week to approve it.

Crude workaround, but have you thought about simply putting a couple of AAA's at the front of the title of anything that you want to be able to study? Would make them show up at the top of the list.

Paul Duke

进士
I'll try it thanks. Hoping for that quick update. One passionate vote for bringing playlists back right here.

Meanwhile, back to the days of studying on paper...

thanks, PD

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Rolling back your settings might not take that long - did you really change that many from the defaults?

Paul Duke

进士
Well, changing all the font sizes for my bad eyesight, building that side menu, etc etc... Pleco menus are complicated and plentiful, that's my main feeling about them after all these years... Busy with work and just don't have time for it for a while. I'll see how it goes, thanks. :)