2.0.1 Beta 2 Bug Report / Feedback Thread

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Post any bug reports and feedback on the latest beta here. Please keep your new feature suggestions in the "Feature Suggestions" threads here or in the main 2.0 forum, this thread should only be used for bug reports / general comments on the new test release.

sinoreen

举人
hi Mike!
Thanks again for the good work.
Just three bugs that I found:
1) I'm getting consistent crashes when tapping on links in the popup window. This also happened in beta1.
2) Also consistent crashes when in any of the English-Chinese (De-Han) Dicts and then Menu>Modules>Add/Edit Custom Entry.
3) Select any card in Manage Flashcards mode, then tap on the "i" button, then tap Edit card, then tap "custom", then go back to "from dict", and then again to "custom". custom will now not be shown correctly, instead, the "from dict" entry will be shown (with some buttons in the input field row missing). the interesting thing is that this only happens, when one switches between "custom" and "from dict" quite fast. Except for the first time that one switches from "from dict" to "custom", the error will occur each time, unless one waits approx. 2 seconds in the "from dict" tab before again tapping "custom" - only then it will be shown correctly.

radioman

状元
I think I figured out the problem I was referencing previously with the Palm T5 in Free Answer Mode on flashcards.

If you bring up a flashcard and showing definition, needing to input headword, if you tap outside of the writing area (e.g., definition, touch the stylus on any part of the definition), the little box looses it's highlight and will then not accept selected characters. I figured out a work around where you just have to again touch the little box to turn it bold again. But, I am guessing this is not the way it is supposed to work.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
sinoreen - thanks! Not seeing these crashes on links here - are links normally set to Copy to Input or pop up a window? Are these in the ABC dictionary? Are you bringing them up from a dictionary entry, flashcard, reader, or the Char Info Components screen? Have you enabled the input field in the popup window?

With the Add/Edit Entry crash, do you have an English-Chinese user dictionary or only a Chinese-English one? Is this only in DeHan or in any E-C dictionary?

With the Edit Card problem, does this affect cards linked to any dictionary or just to a particular one? Are you using Input Field Compatibility mode? Very strange that it would be time-sensitive... could have something to do with the dictionary searches updating after you've already switched to Custom, does the interval feel about the same as the interval after entering a search term in the main dictionary?

radioman - yep, seeing that here too now - must be losing the keyboard focus when they're not supposed to. Should be fixable anyway.

mfcb

状元
according to your suggestion in the other thread i tried the full-screen mode in landscape (and yes, its i big improvement space-wise :D ) but i face some strange behavior.

i configured my landscape toolbar to contain the "fullscreen" button, so i can switch between fullscreen and not. when i am in fullscreen and switch back to portrait mode (by pushing the keyboard in) it leaves the fullscreen mode. so far so good, but when i pull the keyboard out again, then it is not again in fullscreen mode (as i would have hoped for).

but i think its intended by you to do so, because i have the strange effect, that when i open the preferences in portrait mode and pull the keyboard to switch to landscape, i can see the upper toolbar along with the preferences (instead of the windows titlebar with the ok button)... also its strange that i can switch back to portrait, but when i close the preferences in portrait mode after this, i am in fullscreen (without a button to remove it :roll: )

sinoreen

举人
hi Mike!

1)The problem causing crashes when tapping on links in pop up windows seems to have to do with the Edit Box in the IA window (pop up window respectively). With the Edit Box disabled, tapping on a link in an already opened pop up window results in nothing but selecting the link (highlighting it).

here once more the steps to reproduce the crashes:
links are set to pop up window, input field in pop up window (IA) is enabled, crashes with links in ABC and Tuttle (are there links in other dicts too?), Crashes happen no matter whether you are in reader-, dictionary entry-, flashcard- or char info-mode. It always happens when I tap on a link IN A POP UP WINDOW. So for example go to ABC dict Entry of 承, then select 承 (from the dict entry, not from the input field) and open it in pop up (so the pop up also displays the entry for 承). And then press on the link 承担 in the pop up window. This is where my palm crashes. Other scenario: When you review the Flashcard 承, then highlight 承 and open its pop up definition, then again press the 承担-link → crash.

I tried it with Stylus actions/Link tap action/Copy to Input instead of .../pop up defn, but I get the same crashes, no matter whether Input Compatibility is enabled or not.
I would most like to see the possibilty to open more than one pop up at the same time (so that when tapping on a link in an already opened pop up, that the link opens in another pop up), but I think this belongs to feature suggestions and furthermore I think I somewhere read that you don't want to implement this anyway. So the best thing to do I think would be to by default set the tap link action to 'copy to Input' WHEN ONE IS ALREADY IN A POP UP WINDOW and the Edit Box in IA is enabled. So in other words, when tapping on a link in a normal dict entry I would still like it to open in a pop up, but when the pop up definition also contains another link than by tapping it it should be copied to Input (to the Edit Box in the Pop up/IA).

The other two problems seem to come from Input Field Compatibility Mode being enabled, because by disabling it everything works fine. Here details about the problems when Input Field Compatibility Mode is enabled:

2) Concerning the Add/Edit Entry Crash, I only have a C-E User dict, and yes, the crash happens in any E-C dict when choosing Add/Edit Entry.

3) Concerning the Edit Card Problem, yes, it happens with all dicts. The interval between searching feels about the same as the interval after entering a search term in the main dictionary.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
mfcb - yeah, that does look like a glitch - actually it should be remaining fullscreen when you rotate, at least that's how it's designed (and how it worked in our testing), so it looks like the OS brought back the taskbar / start menu without us telling it to - perhaps if we deliberately turned off fullscreen when the screen was rotated it would work better.

sinoreen - OK, now I'm seeing the link tapping and Edit Card bugs here, thanks! Still not getting the Add/Edit entry crash to happen, though - has the screen been partially drawn before it crashes, or does the crash happen as soon as you select that command?

renovator

榜眼
Hi Mike:

Beta 2 is awesome. Downloaded and installed on the road in China. No more shaky flash card boxes, no more boxes that fill themselves, etc. Much, much more stable than Beta1.

One disappointment that would be easy to fix. I understand why you went back to default to 3 in a row for cards learned, but I still expected to be able to select 0. If you do sessions with less than 100 cards, your method works fine. My sessions are always over 500 cards so it is inevitable that I make some typos, especially when I am in a rush to get through my cards or daydreaming. I consider all cards with scores above 100 to be learned and therefore I was getting that count with that option set to 0. Since I need 3 in a row to get the card over 100 to start with, this works for me. I don’t mind getting whacked 100 points on the card score for a typo, but considering it as not learned when it has as score of like 6000 because of a typo is a little harsh. For now I ma set to 1 in a row.

Thanks for Beta2 it really makes Pleco now feel solid

sinoreen

举人
today the crashes when choosing 'Add/Edit Entry' from out of any C-E or DeHan dict are miraculously gone. I'm definitely sure though, that my settings are exactly the same as before, when the crashes happened. There is only one thing I did in between: I disabled both the Edit Box in IA and the Input Field Compatibility once, which helped me to find out about the other two problems. However, they are both enabled again and the bug is suddenly gone. That leads me to think that the crashes only happen when one upgrades from beta1 to beta2 with both options enabled, and that the problems disappears after one makes changes to these two options, even if he afterwards returns to the previous options again.
Concerning your question about drawing: the crashes happened as soon as I tapped on the Add/Edit Entry command, without any drawing of the screen taking place beforehand.

mfcb

状元
hi mike,
although i like that the "start session" buttons are the default now, i find it very confusing that on the main screen of the flash cards the start button is now the first in the order. its a little bit counter-intuitive that one has to tap "down" to get to the dropdown for the profiles and from there "up" to get back to start button... would it be possible to restore the old order and still have the "start session" button as default when opening flashcard screen?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
renovator - great! And good point about the learned threshold - 0 in a row would actually mark any card you'd even reviewed once as "learned" but I can see how that might be useful. Though you could also use the "score >=" option with a score of "101" to get the same effect.

sinoreen - that's odd. I can't think of a reason why simply disabling / re-enabling them would change anything, but we'll keep an eye out for any bugs / other oddities that could relate to this.

mfcb - yeah, that doesn't look right - this should certainly be fixable, yes.

renovator

榜眼
mikelove said:
renovator Though you could also use the "score >=" option with a score of "101" to get the same effect.
Scary to think how muscle memory kicks in when we get used to doing things a certain way and totally miss the obvious. Muscle memory great for learning cards but sometimes makes you a little stupid as well when need to see the big picture. :lol:

daniel123

榜眼
I have the same problem I reported before in beta1: after some time of using flashcards with auto audio the female voice does not pronounce more and more words.

It seems to happen after a long time of flashcard using without quit and start of Pleco. So maybe after repeating 500 or more cards I noticed the first word that could not pronounced by the female voice. The longer I repeat flashcards the more and more words won't be pronounced by the female voice.

The male voice is not affected. I never noticed such a thing in 2.0.0. After a new start of Pleco the female voice works fine again.

Hope you can find the mistake.

Tapcis Palm

With 2.0.1 b2, when I mark a flashcard as correct (first time seeing it, self scored), it is removing it from the cycle (so I don't review it at the end of the session), but it is decrementing the score by 20 each time, instead of incrementing it.

Self Scored: Reveal Seperately (love this option!)
Scoring type manual : (CHECK) Raise by 20 pts after 1 correct in a row
(Check) Lower by 40 pts after 1 incorrect in a row

(Not checked) Only change score once a day

Min score : 45

mfcb

状元
in landscape mode, flashcard search, advanced options, beginning from the second search criteria the dropdown list exceeds the screen height and the options at the bottom of the list are not visible, not even when you move the scroll-bar down. the option are selectable (by cursor movement), just not visible ...

marsch

举人
Hi,
minor problem with "Scale initial increase / decrease by difficulty": If the score is > 100 but < threshold (due to previous decreases by difficulty) then the score doesn't jump to the threshold but just according to score and difficulty, which leads to the funny situation that words starting from 100 are increased more than those starting with 150.
Hope that makes sense :)

daniel123

榜眼
Still an issue with "Learned correct in a row" value.

First I fill in a value. For example 3. Card selection is Frequency adjust. While learning many new cards I sometimes switch this to Fixed. After learning some flashcards I swith back to Frequency adjust. Now the value of "Learned correct in a row" is reset to 0. Don't know if this is a bug but I think it would be more reasonable to restore the old value.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
daniel123 - still no idea about that - are the female files stored in the exact same directory as the male ones? Perhaps there's some issue with the code we added to make memory card-based files more stable.

stephanhodges - that's odd... this is new since b1, right? Have you changed any settings since then?

mfcb - yikes, must not be registering the screen resize correctly - should be easy enough to fix, though.

marsch - hmm, I'm trying to think of how we could do this better... I guess we could just check to see which new score would be larger and jump the card to that, that would cover both this and the earlier problem of cards getting stuck in a loop of tiny increases to get up to the threshold.

daniel123 - yeah, those values should be getting saved / restored regardless of whether or not the option is currently active - strange that this is happening on WM, most of the bugs we've dealt with about that so far have been on Palm.

Yes, new since b1. I had changed the one setting to "Reveal Separately". I might have also changed the increment values, as indicated. But, turning off "reveal separately" doesn't help. Everything is down to 45 now :(

cming

秀才
When returning to a flashcard-session in-progress, and exiting back to windows either by swtitching applications, or minimizing pleco, the Windows Start bar remains visible when returning to Flashcards (obscuring the score and %correct), and can only be hidden again, by re-saving, and restarting the session. Not sure if this is a WM6.0 thing or if it has been reported, but it was there in 2.01 B1 also.

I'll be reverting to happy Beta 1 user for the time being, since I prefer the layout of the Eraser on the left in Flashcard mode, and (especially) also the inbuilt feature which temporarily disables Touchflo when a scrollbar was visible. Nothing wrong with Beta 2 otherwise, just a matter of personal preference, and I dont want to permanently disable Touchflo, since I really need it and it works just fine with Beta 1. The 字 button is almost obselete for me with HWR Instant Access turned on, and having the eraser closer, makes it really quick to power through flashcard sessions.

Whatever the feature is that is integrated into B1 for temporarily disabling Touchflo, is a marvellous piece of programming, as it works very well, and would be great if it can be revived even as an option at some stage.
Until another to-die-for feature or dictionary comes along, its Beta 1 for me! :)