Windows Phone

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
ashneo76 said:
How about a Windows Phone client? They are getting pretty popular.

Not really very popular yet - we're keeping an eye on the market since we'll certainly consider a Windows Phone 8 version if they do get popular (no WP7/7.5 - porting to those would be way more complicated), but their current numbers don't inspire a lot of optimism.

is there any chance to be able t purchase a windows phone 8 version of pleco???

i need a new phone, and my choice depends on this answer! =)

thaaaaaaanks
Ming

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
DingDong23 said:
is there any chance to be able t purchase a windows phone 8 version of pleco???

i need a new phone, and my choice depends on this answer! =)

Not in the near future, no - sorry.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
DingDong23 said:
daaamn... why not!? :p

gotta stick with android, huh!!?!

thanks anyways

Far too soon to know if WP8 is going to be successful, particularly with BlackBerry 10 right around the corner, and in any case we can't really afford the distraction from our iOS and Android apps.

rodda

I was using Pleco in my Note1 before switching to Lumia 920. I really love your dictionary,
but it's so sad you'll are not interested in Lumia Windows 8. Now Nokia's smartphone
strategy is just Windows 8. Within the last year they released 5 new Lumia smartphones running
WP8. I was reading some of your old forum posts and I remember you said we are not interested in
making Pleco for Symbian because Nokia might change to MeeGo or Android. Recently Steven Elop,
CEO of Nokia said there's no plan for using Android and they will only use Windows. BTW in China Lumia
is getting so popular day by day because it has so many great innovations like using with gloves, wireless
charging, best smartphone camera, offline voice navigation, new Windows 8 OS, etc. When I ordered my
phone in end of December 2012, I ordered it from so many websites, it was finished after few minutes it arrived at
the store.
BTW I would say people would buy Pleco and it's add-ons, no matter whether they purchased it earlier. People who love Pleco will support it. I sent you an email in December before buying my 920, then you said there's no plans for developing Pleco at that time. But now it has proven that it's much better and more demanding than Blackberry. If you go to the Silicon valley website of China, Zhong guan cun 中关村,there's always some post about Lumia Windows Phone 8 phones. So I'm just asking you whether you still think it's not worth investing on Windows Phone 8, BTW now the new tablets also come in Windows 8, I'm planning to buy Acer S7 Windows 8 tablet. I hope you will at least release Pleco for WP8 because it's more convenient to use it in the phone.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
rodda said:
BTW I would say people would buy Pleco and it's add-ons, no matter whether they purchased it earlier. People who love Pleco will support it.

Not enough, sadly - we've got a great deal of evidence to support that.

rodda said:
I hope you will at least release Pleco for WP8 because it's more convenient to use it in the phone.

Well never say never, but I'm afraid that's not part of our plans for the near term - we've got too many exciting new features in the works on iOS and Android to take time away from them to support another new platform. (there's also the looming probability that Samsung will start pushing their own heavily-modified fork of Android later this year, so any potential porting time we might be able to find in our schedule will probably have to go to that)

Mark

Just got a Nokia 920... And while I was skeptical... I am quite impressed with it and the wp8 system. Might want to think about your software which I think is the best Chinese learning tool. Will help save me from carrying two phone everywhere.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Just got a Nokia 920... And while I was skeptical... I am quite impressed with it and the wp8 system. Might want to think about your software which I think is the best Chinese learning tool. Will help save me from carrying two phone everywhere.

Well the question is whether WP8 is good enough to convince, say, 1/3 of the people currently using iPhones to switch to Windows, which seems highly unlikely - we don't really have the luxury of being able to support a platform because we think it's cool, we're a big enough business and platform porting an expensive enough proposition that we need to be fairly confident of making a profit before we can consider it.

Raesu

秀才
Love the new iOS update. However, forever disappointed the next project is still iOS based and not a Windows version. I mean honestly I can't think of a single Pleco competitor, curious who you are "losing ground" to?

-WP is #2 in several European countries now and I'm seeing them everywhere in China.

Raesu

秀才
Have you reached out to Nokia at all? They have helped a massive number of apps come to WP, and they are very good at it.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Just not something we're interested in - the business case is thoroughly uncompelling, market share arguments are meaningless when you make 3x as much money on iOS as on Android. Continuing to improve our iOS and Android apps will bring far more happiness to far more users than a WP port, and will make us more money too.

Last edited:

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Market share numbers are meaningless for us - as I said, we make 3x as much money worldwide on iOS as on Android, this in spite of Android having 6x the unit volume. Windows Phone could very well eventually beat iOS in worldwide market share and still not make business sense for us.

Vidoque

P.S. because your software is very useful for the students, i suggest you to contact microsoft to have a financial support to convert Pleco to Windows Phone.

Vidoque

Market share numbers are meaningless for us - as I said, we make 3x as much money worldwide on iOS as on Android, this in spite of Android having 6x the unit volume. Windows Phone could very well eventually beat iOS in worldwide market share and still not make business sense for us.

I know that, because in android Share there are also a lot of low end smartphone.
Windows phone 8 have a big difference with android: even if there are low-end, mid-end and high-end smartphone, all of them have the same "use experience", is like the iOs in all the Iphone

Other important information:
i don't know how long time you need to convert the software, but in the next 1 or 2 years, all the microsoft OS will be cross platform, that mean only one marketplace for all the OS and the same app can work in all the OS.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
That still doesn't mean people are willing to spend lots of money on apps for WP - if anything, the relative same-ness of the user experience makes it harder for apps to differentiate themselves with interesting designs.

But honestly, I don't think we'd be interested even with financial support - personally, as the lead architect / designer of Pleco I'd have to be intimately involved in any Windows port, and I hate porting; I'd much rather work on improving our Android and iOS apps.

Reactions: Wan

Zach

I would like to see a solution that allows Pleco to work on the windows phone I currently have (not that it isn't great carrying around a second device solely devoted to Pleco).

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Thanks, but honestly I'm not seeing any signs that WP is likely to become a viable platform for us in the near future - there just aren't enough WP users willing to pay more than a couple of dollars for a Chinese dictionary app.