White flash screen at startup since version 4.5

piranha

秀才
I am running CM9 on SGS2 (which is irrelevant), and when I run Pleco 4.5 or 4.9 I get a quite unpleasant white flash that last for few seconds before Pleco interface appears on screen.

I have observed the same problem with latest versions of K9-mail.
Other apps have managed to improve their interface without getting the annoying white screen (e.g. Tasker)

In case you wonder, the white screen is specially unpleasant at night and if you are using dark mode.
Will this change be reverted in future? Thanks

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
This sounds like a CM rather than a Pleco issue, actually - ordinarily, when our app launches it doesn't display anything until its files have already loaded, so it's up to the system what to show before then.

It's possible that the issue might have been triggered by the Pleco 2.4 upgrade since that's when we started enabling hardware graphics acceleration - might also explain the similar issue in K9.

Anyway, we can take a look at whether this is something that can be fixed on our end but it may be that the best solution is to upgrade or change your firmware.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Well we load our app in a slightly different way - the app itself is quite small, so it normally loads almost instantly and then goes through the tedious process of opening all of its data files after it's already initialized its main activity, something that we thought / had normally found meant that we'd end up with the correct background color for the currently-selected app theme (so that in Night Mode you get a black background).

It seems like for whatever reason that trick isn't working on CM9 - either that or for some reason it's taking an inordinately long time to launch (is the app itself installed on your SD card by any chance? is the card generally very fast?) and ends up showing you a startup screen that you wouldn't normally see.

wibr

进士
it doesn't really bother me, but on my gnex (most recent stock android) in night mode I also get the white/light grey screen for about 1s before the dictionary screen is shown...

wibr

进士
no I don't think so... since the Galaxy Nexus doesn't have an SD Card slot and I didn't move anything to the folder (if that would be possible)
as far as I can remember since the fish startup screen has been removed it has always been the bright screen, after 1s the actual dictionary screen with night mode colors shows up... (although there are also some glitches with that, sometimes some elements are not in night mode, but I think you are aware of that and a restart usually solves that problem)

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
no I don't think so... since the Galaxy Nexus doesn't have an SD Card slot and I didn't move anything to the folder (if that would be possible)
as far as I can remember since the fish startup screen has been removed it has always been the bright screen, after 1s the actual dictionary screen with night mode colors shows up... (although there are also some glitches with that, sometimes some elements are not in night mode, but I think you are aware of that and a restart usually solves that problem)

You're on a Galaxy Nexus? (sorry, didn't notice the "gnex" in your earlier post) Very odd then, as we're definitely not seeing that behavior on one here... have to investigate further, I guess.

piranha

秀才
i did a normal installation (not to sdcard)
i have used 3 different roms lately and on all of them i got the white screen (Gingerbread 2.3.6, CM10.1, CM9)

i said that the white screen lasts for few seconds. that is inaccurate. it actually last 1 sec at most (Pleco launches fast).
i have become a bit sensitive to this issue because it is more annoying on other apps like Touch Calendar.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
i did a normal installation (not to sdcard)
i have used 3 different roms lately and on all of them i got the white screen (Gingerbread 2.3.6, CM10.1, CM9)

i said that the white screen lasts for few seconds. that is inaccurate. it actually last 1 sec at most (Pleco launches fast).
i have become a bit sensitive to this issue because it is more annoying on other apps like Touch Calendar.

Understood - 1 second makes a lot more sense, that fits within what we might normally expect to see in startup time on the SGS2.

After the white screen flash, does it switch to a blank black screen or does it immediately bring up the app UI?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Update: this is now fixed (we think) for our next bug-fix update, which should be out later this month. (we were originally planning to do one for Android 4.3, but since that's still forthcoming we think we might as well clear some other items off our bug list now)