which is best palm tx/treo 650/750?

liz

Hi,
I was wondering if anyone could help me (I haven't seen any posts about the 750). I need to buy a dictionary for my Chinese course and came across pleco through a friend (was going to buy a besta but now I want a palm). My phone also needs to be replaced, but that is not as important as the dictionary function.
So, is the tx a lot faster than the 650, and does the 750 have a stylus?
Basically which one do you recommend (clarity of characters without having to enlarge, response time, handwriting recognition and flashcard use are all important to me)?
Many thanks,
Liz

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
The 750 is actually a Windows Mobile phone and not a Palm one, so the main question there is whether you want a Palm OS or Windows Mobile phone. See http://www.pleco.com/whichpda.html for a discussion of that particular question.

If you're referring to the Treo 700p, that runs at pretty much the same speed as the 650, so there's not really a lot to gain speed-wise by buying the newer model. The TX is about the same speed as those two as well.

lmcjipo

榜眼
liz said:
Hi,
I was wondering if anyone could help me (I haven't seen any posts about the 750). I need to buy a dictionary for my Chinese course and came across pleco through a friend (was going to buy a besta but now I want a palm). My phone also needs to be replaced, but that is not as important as the dictionary function.
So, is the tx a lot faster than the 650, and does the 750 have a stylus?
Basically which one do you recommend (clarity of characters without having to enlarge, response time, handwriting recognition and flashcard use are all important to me)?
Many thanks,
Liz

My friend has a TX and I have a Treo 650.

I haven't used his TX extensively (I used it a few minutes) so I don't have much to say about it. I like some things about it but there are also things that I don't like about it. In terms of which is faster, I haven't looked at the specifications for the TX but I believe that any speed difference is hardly noticeable between the TX and the Treo 650. My friend doesn't have the same applications running on his TX as I have running on my Treo 650 so I can't really comment on whether any speed improvement is noticeable. I also run almost everything off of my Treo 650's external SD memory card so programs take longer to launch but I don't mind.

What I do know is the Treo 650. I've been using PlecoDict on my Treo 650 for approximately 8 months after upgrading from my old Treo 600. I have no problems recommending the Treo 650. The characters are clear without having to use the magnify feature but the magnify feature also works on the Treo 650. With any PalmOS that has a resolution of or above 320x320, the Chinese characters will be readable and sharp/nice.

I've never had any problems with my GSM unlocked Treo 650 (latest firmware) and PlecoDict. PlecoDict's flashcard and handwriting recognition work fine on the Treo 650.

I also like the ability to enter pinyin using the Treo 650's keypad. I think that using the keypad to enter pinyin is easier than using something like the TX's Graffiti or the TX's virtual keyboard to enter pinyin (or any text for that matter).

My Treo 650 does experience "random" soft resets occasionally but this has almost never been due to PlecoDict. It has happened only once with PlecoDict in the 8 months that I've been using my Treo 650 and I've used PlecoDict's flashcards almost every day for at least 30 minutes each day as well as using PlecoDict itself a few minutes each day just to look up words.

liz

thanks

Hi,
Thank you both for your help - I now have a treo 750 (mainly because my network gave it to me for free) and have plecodict working happily.
Thanks again,
Liz