What happened at Palm recently - May 2005

Hi,
I just saw on the internet that Palm is going to become one company.

I never understood why they became two companies. So, I fail to see why they would come back together now.

It all seems to indicate some internal politics have gotten resolved. Am I wrong?

At times I wonder if Palm is struggling with the mighty giant Microsoft try to snuff their originality [shades of Apple vs. Microsoft of years ago].

In sum, I guess I am looking for gossip.

james

秀才
George, I don't know anything about the merger rumor you mention, but I can say the reason Palm split previously is that they felt that spinning off the software division would help spur other hardware companies to adopt/support the platform.

beirne

进士
George Herzog said:
Hi,
I just saw on the internet that Palm is going to become one company.

I never understood why they became two companies. So, I fail to see why they would come back together now.

It all seems to indicate some internal politics have gotten resolved. Am I wrong?

At times I wonder if Palm is struggling with the mighty giant Microsoft try to snuff their originality [shades of Apple vs. Microsoft of years ago].

In sum, I guess I am looking for gossip.

PalmOne and PalmSource aren't becoming one company, PalmOne is buying full ownership of the name "Palm". It had been owned jointly by the two companies.