viewing CJK characters on pocket pc

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Yes, PlecoDict can use any Chinese font loaded on the system, so it should work quite happily with the CE Star fonts.

goulniky

榜眼
I received my new HTC/QTEK TyTN yesterday and installed PlecoDict ok but the fonts are driving me crazy. I installed CE-Star, wasn't too impressed, couldn't get pinyin input to work.
I then installed EFFY on top which basically locked up everything so I had to re-initialize and only kept Pleco.
Now, I found the what works best with Word Mobile is SimSun (for mixed accented pinyin, hanzi and English) except bold, gotta use different font sizes instead.
The weird thing though is it only works when Pleco is running, if I quit the application, Word Mobile no longer has access to those fonts, they're not listed ?!
Would the same be true of Opera? I haven't done the register tweak yet, and so I don't even get hanzi to display with IE, never mind Pleco running or not. This is really frustrating, and I'm hesitant to install any IME system again, that wouldn't be my priority but viewing web pages certainly is.
Thx

goulniky

榜眼
To get it working properly in (nearly) all programs, you need to use a feature called "font linking" - it's enabled by a registry hack. Details of what to change are available on MSDN.
I'm a real newbie here, how do you access the registry, can't find any regedit tool.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
You can make sure Word Mobile has continuous access to SimSun by using File Explorer to move SimSun to your \\Windows\Fonts folder - that'll ensure that the system loads it on startup and keeps it loaded / accessible even when PlecoDict isn't running.

The registry tweak is mostly needed if you've got mixed English / Chinese text in a program that doesn't know how to handle them. Opera actually probably won't need it, nor will Word Mobile as long as you select the correct font. If you do find that you need to do that tweak, a good free registry editor program is PHM Registry Editor.

goulniky

榜眼
Thx Mike. Actually I do use Word Mobile for mixed English, pinyin and hanzi, and I found that of your 3 fonts, SimSun is the only one that fully handles them all.

goulniky

榜眼
Well, I copied rather than moved the font files (can't remove them with the file explorer afterwards though) and removed with the Settings / Remove Programs tool and had no problem.
I did however download voicebook that I mentioned in an earlier post, but that program won't recognize the fonts in the menus. It does display text alright in the main window but that's little help when you don't know what the menus functions are so I uninstalled :cry: I may try at some point in future when I'm comfortable with the machine, quite a change coming from the Palm world.
correction - I just received the following reply from VoiceBook, very quick support:

目前smartphone版本的语音电子书菜单支持3种语言:简体中文、繁体中文和英文。
收到您的来信后,我们的测试人员在英文版本操作系统的smartphone模拟器上安装了语音电子书软件,安装后菜单是有的,只是显示乱码,不知您安装后看到的是乱码呢还是没有菜单出现呢?
如果是乱码的话可以进行如下操作将菜单切换到英文版本即可正常显示:右软件 -〉数字键6-〉数字键 3 ;既可切换到英文界面。
That means they can display menus in simplified or traditional Chinese, as well as English, with Chinese as default. But they gave me instructions to switch to English, bottom right menu item 6 (F) then select submenu item 3. I re-installed and it worked, looks like I don't need a Chinese IME for that one.

goulniky

榜眼
The registry tweak is mostly needed if you've got mixed English / Chinese text in a program that doesn't know how to handle them. Opera actually probably won't need it, nor will Word Mobile as long as you select the correct font.
well, Word Mobile did display mixed text, but IE and Opera wouldn't so I made the registry change as indicated here, did a soft reset, but nothing changed, ChinesePod' is still full of those little squares :(

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
That's odd... doesn't reflect well on Pocket IE, really, you'd think by now they could have implemented decent multilingual support.

About all I can say on this is that the new font system in 2.0 should make it virtually impossible for CE-Star or Monster Chinese to muck with our software's text rendering, which might make it a little less painful to install / use those packages to deal with this. But if changing the registry won't get IE to render Chinese correctly then there's not a whole lot else I can think of that would.

goulniky

榜眼
Thanks Mike. Never mind, I installed Monster Chinese w/o the IMEs to begin with, and it solves the issue for IE : can see ChinesePod ok but BBC news in Chinese still comes up garbled (differently though, same as a GB text file would display if opened on the desktop with Notepad). How well, will have to be patient....

sfrrr

状元
Have you tried one of Monster's IMEs yet? Have you set Monster to boot during start-up so it's always available in the background? Did you install both traditional and simplified modes? I'm going to spend a little time this evening experimenting with IMEs on both my WM5 HTC Wizard cell phone and my WM5 Axim. If I learn anything, I'll share it.

Sandra[/code]

goulniky

榜眼
The only Monster IME I installed is pinyin, but I can't get it to work. I do get a Monster SIP option, but whenever I select it, I'm immediately thrown back to keyboard. Tried all combinations of options, to no avail. Am I missing something, is it because I didn't register yet?
And BTW, I wish the interface was in simplified Chinese, making sense of 使用联想词, 办试香港字 and 自动送子 or even reading the user guide was no major issue, just making things a little harder.

sfrrr

状元
To be honest, I understood very little of what I was doing. I've done three, I think, installs of Monster. The first time worked, the second time it mostly worked, unless I hit a wrong key, then I had a terrible time recovering. The last time, I gave up and went back to CE-Star, which, for now, is working fine.

For a while, the IT guy in our office translated manuals for me and also understood my questions and the developer's answers. Unfortunately, he's now got a better job elsewhere.

Real pain this is. I can't wait until the lovely Chinese IME on tablets trickles down to the PPC. Or PD 2.x comes out.

Sorry you're having all this trouble.

Sandra