Two Small Bugs Inside the Pleco Document Reader

Hello,

first of all: Great App! I love the clip and file reader features and use them all the time to read and quickly lookup vocabulary in news and books. I haven't found any better program for that, especially on the phone. There are just some two minor bugs I came accross, which are acceptable but a bit annoying:

1. Current Page is Lost When Switching Between Vertical and Horizontal Mode too Fast
    • Lets say I am in on some page inside a certain chapter. I accidentally move my phone in a way that it switches from vertical to horizontal mode. Then I quickly adjust my hand so that the phone changes back to vertical mode. But afterwards I am somehow on the first page of the same chapter.
    • Note that this problem does not occur if I perform these orientation changes slowly.
  2. Arrow Keys Stop Working After Tapping on a Word
    • After opening the reader, I can use the arrow keys of an external keyboard to switch pages. When I tap on a word with my finger to show the definition, there is no response when using the keys. Doing the same thing inside the reader lets me select the next word and show its definition.
    • After closing the definition, there is also no response to the arrow keys for page switching. Only after switching to another functionality inside the burger menu, I can go back to the reader and use the arrow keys for page switching again.
I whish these bugs can be solved. They are occuring on my Asus Zenphone 9 running Android 13. Please let me know if any more information is needed.

Best regards,
Heribert

I originally experienced the problem with externally loaded .epub files. Now I just tried it with one of the graded reader demos from the pleco shop and it behaves exactly the same.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
We investigated both problems, but the first one is extremely complicated to fix in our current app and will probably have to wait for our big 4.0 update; that update is currently in public beta testing on iOS, but I don't have any information to share about the timeline for its port to Android. The best I can suggest in the meantime is that you lock your screen orientation when using our document reader.

The second one seems like it ought to be easier to fix, but we haven't managed to reproduce on any of our test devices yet. We'll take another look at it for our next bug fix update, but it may likewise not get fixed until 4.0.

Hey Mike,
thank you for the quick and detailed response!

Regarding bug 1:

Like you suggested, I was able to install an app running in the background which automatically locks the screen rotation when using pleco. So the problem is more or less solved for now. Looking forward to 4.0 on Android.

Regarding bug 2:

I just realized that my error description for this problem was not very clearly differtiating between the clipboard reader and the file reader. If you get around to another try reproducing the issue, here is a more clear description:

After opening the file reader, I can use the arrow keys of an external keyboard to switch pages. When I tap on a word with my finger to show the definition, there is no response when using the keys. Doing the same thing inside the clip reader lets me select the next word and show its definition.
After closing the definition inside the file reader, there is also no response to the arrow keys for page switching. Only after switching to another functionality inside the burger menu, I can go back to the file reader and use the arrow keys for page switching again.

Have a nice day,
Heribert

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Thanks - will see if we can reproduce this the next time we're preparing an Android bug fix update.