Treo Pro vs. Some Kind of HTC phone

mewaters

秀才
What would be a better phone to get so that I can install and use Pleco on my phone? My Verizon contract is up so I could either go with them again, or I could go with At&T. Those are basically my only 2 provider options because of coverage issues, though.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Since nobody else is weighing in: I'd characterize this is an ergonomic issue as much as anything else; the main question is which form factor you like better, both the Treo Pro and most of the HTCs should be able to run Pleco fine. The big tradeoff with the Treo is the smaller screen, which tends to make Pleco's user interface feel a bit cramped (though this can be helped somewhat by using the experimental full-screen display feature). With the HTCs, you can either give up the hardware keyboard (though you can still tap out letters with a stylus using the onscreen one), or have that keyboard but at the expense of a much bigger and not-very-pocketable form factor.

If you go with the HTCs, you might want to hold off on purchasing for a few months, since I believe the new HTC Touch Pro2/Diamond2 are scheduled to hit Verizon later in the year. Oh, and make sure the phone you get has a touchscreen - a few HTCs (including the "Ozone" on Verizon) don't have touchscreens and hence aren't capable of running Pleco, you want one with "Touch" in its name. The Verizon "XV6900" is actually the original HTC Touch and works fine with Pleco, so if they still have any of those in stock that might be a cheaper option for you.

One other Verizon phone you could look at is the Samsung Omnia - opinions vary on that, but a lot of Pleco users seem to be very happy with them.

radioman

状元
@mewaters - Are you expecting to be doing any traveling with the phone? If you are using Pleco to study in the US, and then you wind up in Taiwan or China for a period of time, it would be good to have a device you can use both places, especially if it is your main Pleco device!

If traveling is an issue, make sure your phone can support both the voice and data technologies, as well as the frequency of the foreign and US operator (e.g., GSM/GPRS/Edge/HSPA/WCDMA versus CDMA/1XRTT/1xEV-DO, EVDO Rev A, etc.).

And if $$$ (roaming charges) are an issue, make sure you can unlock the phone so you can use a foreign SIM card. I believe AT&T will provide support to unlock all phones they sell with the exception of the iPhone. Not sure on VZW's polices right now.

mewaters said:
What would be a better phone to get so that I can install and use Pleco on my phone? My Verizon contract is up so I could either go with them again, or I could go with At&T. Those are basically my only 2 provider options because of coverage issues, though.

mewaters

秀才
Thanks all for your notes! I went with the Treo Pro. I am like 95% sure I will be able to use this phone in China. I won't mind too much if it doesn't work since I don't anticipate being there too much in the next couple years; but if it does work in China then all the better. Best Buy was offering them for $200 with a 2 year AT&T Wireless Contract. Though I'm still learning about all its capabilities, I am really happy with the choice. The Treo Pro is just awesome and all those Verizon phones are just so darn clunky...

I do have a question that I think people here could answer though. The Treo Pro has a microSD slot under the battery cover. I know it's been recommended in the past that Pleco be run on such a separate card. Is this still the case? Should I get a microSD card for installing Pleco?