Touch Screen Off Balance

hdejarne

秀才
I've been using and enjoying Plecodict on my T/E for about a month now and its a great product. Recently out of the blue, my touch screen is off balance. So that whenever I touch the screen with the stylus the input could be anywhere on the screen. This makes using the menus very difficult and the onscreen keyboard nearly impossible. I've tried recalibrating the digitizer, soft and hard reset, all to no avail. Has anyone else had this problem?

sfrrr

状元
Do you have any sort of screen protector on your PDA? Some of those plastic protectors make the cursor very erratic. Also, when one of those gets dirty or worn, it makes matters even worse.

Or, it is possible that you have a faulty digitizer. There are PDA fixit shops that replace digitizers. The manufacturer may also do this.

Good luck.

Sandra

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Yeah, digitizer hardware issues are pretty common with the Tungsten E (and in fact with a great many Palm models, though the newer ones seem to have improved on that front). So if it's not a screen protector issue I'd recommend that you send it to someone for repair - as sfrrr notes, there are a lot of shops on the internet that will do it for you if you're out of warranty.

hdejarne

秀才
Wow! You guys were FAR more helpful that Palm's tech support. The PDA is definitely out of warranty (it only lasts 90 days!) I'll look into taking it to a fix-it shop.

tuvia

举人
need a repair in beijing

anyone know where a good place to take my e2 in for repair in beijing; my digitizer (i guess) is messed up to the point that i cant even get to the home page. thanks.

t.

hdejarne

秀才
Can anyone suggest some PDA's that aren't known for digitizer problems? I'm reluctant to get mine fixed ($45) or buy another ($200) if its just going to break again after a year.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
The old Sony Clies seemed to be better on this front than the Palm models, but in general I get the impression that the newest models (like the TX) are less prone to this sort of issue than their predecessors. However, that may only be because the TX hasn't been around for very long and nobody's had one long enough for digitizer problems to emerge yet.