The 680 and other Pleco-friendly devices

Hai Zi

Hi all - I'm wondering if anyone has seen the Treo 680 for sale in Beijing? If so, where and for how much?
Also, I would like to know what mobile phone devices are able to run Pleco software. If there is already a list of such gadgets on this website, perhaps someone could link me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance

Hai Zi

lmcjipo

榜眼
Not sure about where to purchase it in Beijing and I ordered an unlocked GSM Treo 680 to replace my less than 1 year old GSM Treo 650 (and I'm hoping to receive it in January).

I wasn't going to purchase the Treo 680 but I saw it on sale at a price that I could not refuse. The price was so good that I might be able to sell my Treo 650 for the price that I'm purchasing the Treo 680 for.

Hopefully, I won't have any compatibility issues with transferring my existing programs (including PlecoDict) from my Treo 650 to my Treo 680 just like I didn't have any issues transferring between my Treo 600 to my Treo 650.

The only 2 differences that I noticed about the Treo 680 is that it contains more usable memory, a slightly updated bluetooth compatible standard, and it contains a slightly updated OS. Since the OS is slightly updated, I'm hoping that all my existing programs will be compatible.

Hai Zi

No 680 in China yet

I just went down to Hailong to see if they had the 680 - all the people I asked said it wouldn't be on the Chinese market for another few months - and when it does come on the market, it's not going to be cheaper than the 650 - probably even more expensive. So, I'm thinking of getting one this Christmas (in the sales) when I go back to the UK... could anyone tell me what I'll need to do to the machine when I bring it back to Beijing... First of all, I'll need an "unlocked" one, so that it'll work in any phone network area, right? Then, I will need to add CJKOS for Chinese - is it a free download? Apart from that, is there anything else I need to do?

Thanks

Hai Zi

PS By the way, lmcjipo, could you tell me where you bought your 680 for such a good price? And what was the price?

lmcjipo

榜眼
Re: No 680 in China yet

Hai Zi said:
I just went down to Hailong to see if they had the 680 - all the people I asked said it wouldn't be on the Chinese market for another few months - and when it does come on the market, it's not going to be cheaper than the 650 - probably even more expensive. So, I'm thinking of getting one this Christmas (in the sales) when I go back to the UK... could anyone tell me what I'll need to do to the machine when I bring it back to Beijing... First of all, I'll need an "unlocked" one, so that it'll work in any phone network area, right? Then, I will need to add CJKOS for Chinese - is it a free download? Apart from that, is there anything else I need to do?

Thanks

Hai Zi

PS By the way, lmcjipo, could you tell me where you bought your 680 for such a good price? And what was the price?

Yes, you will have to get an "unlocked" one. When you get the "unlocked" version, you will have a choice of probably 4 colours. The locked version only comes in 1 colour (graphite).

Yes, you will need to add CJKOS for Chinese or another software that does this (I've heard that there are others but CJKOS is the best known). Yes, it is a free download but it is not free software (28US$, 218HK$ or 238RMB). The software is located here: http://www.dyts.com/en/cjkos.html

CJKOS is not required for PlecoDict. However, you do need CJKOS if you want to be able to use the PlecoDict's "Instant Access" feature. I don't use "Instant Access" so this is one of the reasons why I didn't purchase CJKOS. I tried it on my Treo 650 briefly and I found that it "totally messed up my interface" since it changed most of the program names to Chinese names and my Chinese reading ability is very weak. What I wanted was the ability to read Chinese on my Treo 650 without having all my menus changed to Chinese. I also didn't know how to configure CJKOS because all the menus/options were in Chinese. I decided to delete it even though I would have liked to be able to view Chinese characters occasionally on my Treo 650 outside of PlecoDict.

In regards to where I purchased my Treo 680 and how much it costs, I'm located in Canada and I purchased it from someone in Canada who was planning on purchasing a lot of unlocked Treo 680's from Palm's website. The person qualified for a Palm's volume discount (http://store.palm.com/groupsales/index.jsp). He charged me $375 CAD which is approximately $326 USD and 2558 RMB for the unlocked Treo 680. The price that Palm Canada sells unlocked Treo 680's for is $499 CAD (taxes & shipping not included). A locked Treo 680 costs $299 CAD based on a 3 year contract. I would have opted for this route but my service provider is not offering the Treo 680 and it is another Canadian provider that is offering it.

I'm not sure what his price was per unit but he informed me that he purchased about 80 of them. He works at an electronics store. He told me that he would receive all of them sometime after New Year's (approximately January 14). If I don't receive it by January 14, I will inform him and then call my credit card company and cancel the charge (if he doesn't refund my money).

Since I don't really know the guy, it is a bit risky but I accepted the risk for the price (and also because I can always call my credit card company if I don't get the Treo 680 by January 14). Once (if) I receive my Treo 680, I will sell my Treo 650 (which is less than 1 year old) and I can probably get $375 CAD for it since I am throwing in a lot of accessories that I purchased including a spare battery (the Treo 680 uses a different battery).

CJKOS and messy interface

CJKOS was designed as a localizer for Chinese users of Palm, as to this day palm has yet to come out with their own Chinese system. The other nifty thing it does is allow chinese display and input in almost every piece of palm software. You can turn off the localizer feature by going to the second page in CJKOS (增强 in Chinese and 'enhance' in english) and deselecting the 'localizer' (中文化). This will allow you to use everything in CJKOS without turning your system into Chinese.

Hai Zi

Thanks all for your replies.

I'm thinking now that I might get a friend to buy a 680 for me in the US (where the price is about $399 for unlocked) and then post it over to the UK or Beijing.

Does anyone have any experience in posting such items? Is it expensive, and would it have trouble getting through Chinese customs as a "gift"?

Thanks

lmcjipo

榜眼
Re: CJKOS and messy interface

Ma Guo Tou said:
CJKOS was designed as a localizer for Chinese users of Palm, as to this day palm has yet to come out with their own Chinese system. The other nifty thing it does is allow chinese display and input in almost every piece of palm software. You can turn off the localizer feature by going to the second page in CJKOS (增强 in Chinese and 'enhance' in english) and deselecting the 'localizer' (中文化). This will allow you to use everything in CJKOS without turning your system into Chinese.

Does this mean that using CJKOS and your instructions, I can keep my English menus and program names and I will be able me to read Chinese characters (in e-mail/SMS programs)?

If this is what your instructions will allow me to do, I will try CJKOS again once I (hopefully) get my Treo 680 since my current Treo 650 is somewhat low in terms of free memory.

Does this mean that using CJKOS and your instructions, I can keep my English menus and program names and I will be able me to read Chinese characters (in e-mail/SMS programs)?

That is exactly what it means, and that's how I use my palm. Enjoy...

lmcjipo

榜眼
Re: No 680 in China yet

Hai Zi said:

I didn't wind up getting the Treo 680 and my Treo 650 died a few weeks ago (it kept rebooting and I couldn't stop it no matter what type of reset I used). After performing a hard reset, it still would reboot like it didn't accept the hard reset.

I managed to cancel/reverse the credit card charge for the Treo 680 so it worked out and PalmOne after sending me a defective refurbished Treo 650 to replace my defective (rebooting) Treo 650, they sent me another Treo 650 that seems to work fine.

I was totally lost without my Treo 650 and PlecoDict. Once I started using it today (after restoring all the programs back), I found that I forgot a lot of words in my flashcards.

lmcjipo

榜眼
Got my Treo 680 from another source. Haven't tested it yet or transferred all my Treo 650 programs to it so that I can sell my Treo 650.

Hai Zi said:
Hi all - I'm wondering if anyone has seen the Treo 680 for sale in Beijing? If so, where and for how much?
Also, I would like to know what mobile phone devices are able to run Pleco software. If there is already a list of such gadgets on this website, perhaps someone could link me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance

Hai Zi

I'm not in China but according to various URLs on the internet, the Treo 680 is now available in China. See my posting on this forum: viewtopic.php?t=892

gato

状元
A review of the new Palm Centro. Looks like a good product finally from Palm, if a little late.
This would be a great device to run PlecoDict.

http://www.treocentral.com/content/Stories/1361-1.htm
Hands-on With the Palm Centro
Last Updated Thu Sep 27, 2007
* Palm OS 5.4.9
* EVDO 3G high speed data
* Bluetooth Version 1.2
* 64MB available user storage plus a microSD clot
* 1.3 megapixel camera
* 3.5 hour talk time, 1150 mAh battery
* 4.22" (L) x 2.11" (W) x 0.73" (D);
* 4.2 oz

gato

状元
When will the Centro be available in China, anyone knows? I guess its gonna take a while.
The first version can only be used on CDMA cell networks and thus wouldn't work in China, which has GSM. Though China Unicom has a pledgling CDMA network, I don't know if you can use US CDMA phones on its network. I hope they come out with a GSM Centro soon. A small form-factor Palm phone is what a lot of people have been hoping for a long time.

-Nik-

Ok, i understand. Thanks for the clarification. Well thats a pity. I really cant wait to get this phone. Its not perfect but a long awaited version of Palm.
Wonder how much it would cost in Shanghai.