Switch from Palm T3 to iPod touch questions

I searched through the forums, but didn't find an answer to the following.

Well, I dropped my very well worn T3 today and the handwriting portion of the screen went black. I can still use it, but not effeciently. I can buy a refurbed one, or finally make the change to the modern world. I'm thinking an iPod touch.

What are the issues involved with switching? From what I can tell, the Pleco switch isn't a problem. I also have other software that I'll need to switch/replace and I'm researching that. What about all the Palm data? For example, the calendar, contacts, memos, etc? Right now I sync to Palm Desktop. Some sites say I can sync to Outlook, then to the iPod touch through iTunes. Is that the only way?

Any other suggestions as I make this transition?

Thanks for your help.

Mei2Qiang2

chao-ren

进士
Some sites say I can sync to Outlook, then to the iPod touch through iTunes. Is that the only way?

Well that's not all. You can also use MobileMe although this is not a free service. In Hong Kong it's only about $99 dollars per year, so hardly a big expense. MobileMe will sync from Outlook for you unless you Outlook is configured exclusively for Microsoft Exchange server corporate environment. Personally speaking MobileMe is really user-friendly if you don't know anything about Outlook or missed it with your iTunes first time you connect.
http://www.apple.com/support/mobileme/

radioman

状元
I am a longtime GMail user and it appears to work very we'll with exchange server software. So all my contacts, email, calendar, once I set up the iPhone, they all just sync over the air via exchange server software. I have done the change to a new iPhone a number of times with no problems. I believe it is free as well.

But you would need to get your data to GMail and Google contacts and calendars first.