Suggestion: Replace duplicate card in custom flashcard creation

Th41

举人
Hello,

I just tried to add a duplicate custom flashcard, because I tried to change the flashcard definition. Pleco warns you and gives you either the option to cancel or create a duplicate card. I think it would be useful to also have the option of replacing the former card, so you do not have to search for the card in your deck and delete it manually.

Kind regards,
Th41

HW60

状元
You should get the "Update Text" option. When this option is not visible, the old and the new card are different in either headword or pronunciation. E.g. when your old flashcard has only simplified character, the new one has simplified and traditional characters, you cannot see the update-text-option.

Th41

举人
Unfortunately this is not the case with custom cards.
Instead you just get to choose between canceling and continuing (creating a duplicate card).

Here's a random example:
upload_2016-3-6_0-24-45.png

HW60

状元
Do you use version 3.2.25? How do you add the card? From dictionary with the "+" button I have no problems. I only have custom cards.

Th41

举人
Yes, I do.
Is there any easier way than copying the word into the reader, marking it and pressing the "+" button?
It never felt really straightforward to me, but the only comfortable way I know of. There also does not seem to be any way of adding a custom card after looking them up in the dictionary. I can only add cards Pleco finds dictionary entries for.
The dialogue you mention only pops up when trying to add duplicate cards of flashcards that are associated with dictionary entries (hence, not the custom ones).

HW60

状元
Now I found it. This also happens in Organize Cards / New Card.

I create a user dictionary with all my flashcards about every 2 weeks and put it on top of the dictionary list. Then when I look up a new word and find it in my user dictionary, I know that I have that flashcard already.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Good suggestion, thanks.

If you go into Settings / Search Interface and set "unknown word handling" to "custom card," that will give you an option at the top of search results to create a custom card from the current search input.

HW60

状元
This is one of the best suggestions of the last year for custom card users - thanks! And the new NHD works too when I add flashcards!