Suggestion: Number of unique characters in Flashcard DB.

Ai Xue

Every now and then I get asked by a friend or acquittance how many characters I know. My answer is always a pure guess as I haven't kept count. But I realized that—because I've been using Pleco consistently ever since I started my Chinese studies—about every Chinese character I've learned is in my Flashcard database. As the total amount of flashcards is already shown in Pleco, I think it would be rather easy to make a function which also shows the number of unique characters these flashcards are made up of. I'm sure such a small but interesting function would be greatly appreciated.

jlnr

进士
Seconded! I don't care too much, but 'outsiders' keep asking/telling me about the number of character one needs to know to survive/read a newspaper/etc. This little statistic would provide some personal context to these discussions :)

alanmd

探花
One suggestion until it is implemented; you could export your flashcards to a file and copy and paste it into this little online character/word analysis tool that I wrote. It will also give you an idea of your HSK level, and suggest high frequency words that you are missing, in case you are interested: http://www.hskhsk.com/analyse.html