Sucks to be a Pleco user looking for a new phone.

Mads

举人
So you moved from Palm to Windows to Apple...

Apple happens to be the most expensive in smart phones! I really can't afford this and I don't want to use the god awful windows stuff that you say is going to be obsolete soon anyways!

Seriously, you need to tell us that you will soon start supporting hardware (that is new, not some old stuff second hand ebay) that doesn't cost the same as a decent laptop!

Mads

举人
I don't know.

But I went to the market to check out the "recommended" hardware. 5000rmb!!! Ridiculous.

character

状元
There's a new iPhone coming out soon, so once it does look at reduced prices of the iPhone 3G, 3GS, or the (non-phone) iPod Touch 2nd Generation 8mb to run Pleco.

gato

状元
The non-China Unicom version of iPhone 3G is going for about RMB 3500 right now in China. You can get it for cheaper in Hong Kong. It cost more in maInland to pay the smugglers. Once the new version comes out later this year, the 3GS should be dropping down to 3500 territory.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
The "recommended" hardware for Pleco (iPhone 3GS) is considerably more advanced than most of the other smartphones available in China - performance-wise, it basically beats everything running Windows Mobile and all but the most expensive / high-end Android phones. Just because the cheaper iPhone 3G isn't the top recommendation on our hardware page doesn't mean it isn't a good phone, though - I use one myself, in part as an incentive to keep Pleco running smoothly on older phones. To be honest, that hardware page is mainly tailored towards Americans (still the majority of our customers), who are paying $100 for an iPhone 3G with a contract versus $200 for a 3GS, and for them I think it's an easy decision to go with the 3GS.

Another option would be to get an iPod Touch - those are considerably cheaper than iPhones, they're available service-contract-free in the US for $200 and the importers can't add that much of a premium on top of that since there are so many of them out there. And they're extremely thin and portable, so you could feasibly carry both an iPod Touch for running apps and a super-durable, keyboard-centric BlackBerry or Nokia phone for phone calls / text messaging / email.

A lot of the inexpensive Chinese smartphones either a) run a proprietary / Windows-CE-based OS that isn't going to be very good for running apps in general, or b) run some variety of Android, but due to their low cost are unlikely to keep being updated for the latest Android versions - the manufacturer can't afford to re-adapt their phone's software for every new version of Android. So it's unlikely most of those low-end Chinese phones will see a steady stream of OS updates like the high-end HTC phones (which, as I said, cost as much as iPhone 3GSes) do - many of them will be running an obsolete operating system from the day you buy them.

sfrrr

状元
mikelove said:
A lot of the inexpensive Chinese smartphones either a) run a proprietary / Windows-CE-based OS that isn't going to be very good for running apps in general, or b) run some variety of Android, but due to their low cost are unlikely to keep being updated for the latest Android versions - the manufacturer can't afford to re-adapt their phone's software for every new version of Android. So it's unlikely most of those low-end Chinese phones will see a steady stream of OS updates like the high-end HTC phones (which, as I said, cost as much as iPhone 3GSes) do - many of them will be running an obsolete operating system from the day you buy them.

The android smartphone I bought from China for US$100, was a piece of [fill in the blank] from the beginning. Voice quality so bad that neither party could understand or even hear the other over the feedback or static. (Even without noise, we couldn't understand each other.) It wasn't really android, just imitated part of the Android UI. So, I couldn't download Android apps onto it. One of its two batteries failed within the first month, despite the fact that I got to the point that I was only using it for texting.

I got it from eBay--it's called something like the Sci-g or the Sci-123 or...

Mads

举人
Btw...

Another thing I don't get. What is all this talk about the recognizer? On my TX I never used the recognizer. I just write the character straight on the screen. Much much faster. If I buy an iPhone/iPod would I have to go back to using the recognizer? I feel that would be the same as putting supporting wheels on bicycle again like when I was 4. Not cool.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
You're using the handwriting recognizer even if you're drawing characters right on the screen - the tricky / complicated / expensive thing is the algorithm that translates what you draw into characters, not the literal draw-characters-in-a-box interface.

The iPhone includes a handwriting input mode with a transparent background that works pretty much the same as the Palm/WM on-screen one, but even without that option handwriting input happens on the main screen - just overlays it with a smooth gray background.