some questions on the treo650

lmcjipo

榜眼
venture160 said:
can you do pinyin text input? or run an english OS and still have chinese iput and reading ability enabled?

I have a Treo 650. I'm not sure if your questions refer to PlecoDict in particular on the Treo 650 or just the Treo 650.

In regards to PlecoDict, when I look up Chinese words on my Treo 650, I generally type the word in pinyin using the Treo 650's QWERTY keypad, but PlecoDict also supports Chinese input with Pleco's supplied handwriting recognition software/plug-in.

My Treo 650 is running the English (American) OS.

In terms of reading ability, I can read the Chinese characters in PlecoDict that are part of the definition. If you are referring to reading Chinese documents/webpages on the Treo 650, you will need a program called CJKOS. I don't have any experience with CJKOS since I haven't installed/used it because my Treo 650 is running low on internal memory (only have 4MB left).

pou

I have a quick question with regards to the phone specifically. I'm assuming I can run Pleco and other applications fine on the Treo 650 if I buy an external memory card....

More specifically, I spend most of my time in China/Hong Kong and wanted to make sure if I dobuy a Treo 650, I can:

1) I can use it in China with any SIM card (currently use M-Zone) with no problem assuming that I buy an unlocked Treo 650.

2) I can send and receive SMS in Chinese characters

3) can surf the web, use email, in both english and chineseetc...(how do I do this if I am using M-Zone?)

4) can also use back in the USA with any SIM card like my Cingular subscription service

I'm assuming any of the unlocked Treo 650s like the ones going on sale on Ebay would allow me to do this?

Otherwise, anyone know where and how much I can get an unlocked Treo 650 for in Beijing?

-Peter

redpixel

秀才
For your questions I'm sorry, I have no idea, except for the question of WHERE to buy it in Beijing. I saw some in ZhongGuanCun when I bought my E2. On the 2nd or 3rd floor of the HaiLong DianZiCheng they have a few shops selling Palm computers (which are supposedly "official" Palm retailers I think).

I'm not sure about the price, and whether or not they're unlocked, but since this is China I'm guessing they most certainly are. :p

For my E2 I paid something close or a little bit cheaper than the cheapest US price listed so I think you'd find it being the same with the 650.

Maybe check this thread for some further answers: viewtopic.php?t=477

lmcjipo

榜眼
pou said:
I have a quick question with regards to the phone specifically. I'm assuming I can run Pleco and other applications fine on the Treo 650 if I buy an external memory card....
-Peter

In regards to your questions, an unlocked GSM Treo 650 will do everything that you want since it is a quad-band world GSM phone and a PalmOS PDA. There are only 4 GSM bands/standards in the world the an unlocked GSM Treo 650 will work anywhere in the world that uses the GSM standard.

The only thing that I'm unsure about is the sending of Chinese SMS's. I assume that this is possible if you install a 3rd party program called CJKOS. This program should also allow you to view Chinese webpages.

I'm not 100% sure about what CJKOS is capable and not capable of doing since I don't have it installed on my Treo 650. Because of the type of program that CJKOS is, it has to be installed in main memory (or the majority of it has to be installed in main memory) and I only have about 4MB of main memory available.

pou

Thanks everyone. So it looks like it doesn't really matter where I buy the Treo 650 as long as it is unlocked I can basically use both in the USA and China. Also, if I buy in China either the CECT or the "special" one, I'm assuimg it will already have CJKOS on there so I can still install other applications like Pleco without any strain on memory?

Anyone else have more thoughts regarding the sending of SMS in chinese using M-Zone service in Beijing. Also, any ideas on surfing the web using my M-Zone subscription?

Also, from some of the posts it looks like it makes most economical sense to just buy one of the special cheaper palm Treo 650 in Beijing than the ones sponsered by CECT. Is there any technical, significant difference I should be aware of. From what I understand the only difference is the CECT logo, the addition of an extra memory card, and better warranty service. However, the price difference of something like 5000 vs. 2200 is quite a bit. Any reasons for why? I keep feeling there must be something else going on. At first I was thinking of buying an unlocked one on Ebay for about $230 USD or so but after reading that I can get basically the same thing in China for about the same if not cheaper, then I rather just buy that especially if it already comes prepacked with Chinese software too.

gato

状元
Also, from some of the posts it looks like it makes most economical sense to just buy one of the special cheaper palm Treo 650 in Beijing than the ones sponsered by CECT. Is there any technical, significant difference I should be aware of. From what I understand the only difference is the CECT logo, the addition of an extra memory card, and better warranty service. However, the price difference of something like 5000 vs. 2200 is quite a bit. Any reasons for why?
The non-CECT branded Treos (the so-called “水货”)are smuggled into China without paying the high import duties on high-tech gears and thus can be much cheaper. I think they're the same devices otherwise, but it's probably best to go with a dealer that offers some of a warranty or replacement policy, just to be sure.

A friend of mine just bought a CECT-branded Treo 650 in Shanghai for 3800 yuan (if I remember correctly). He bought it mostly for its handwriiting recognition so that he can practice his writing while sending text messages (of course, I also told him he'd love Pleco). He's happy with the handwriting recognition, though I think it could probably be more accurate. Its builtin pinyin entry system, for some reason, only allows entry one character at a time instead of by words (which is allowed on the installation of CKJOS on my Sony CLIE).

lmcjipo

榜眼
pou said:
Thanks everyone. So it looks like it doesn't really matter where I buy the Treo 650 as long as it is unlocked I can basically use both in the USA and China. Also, if I buy in China either the CECT or the "special" one, I'm assuimg it will already have CJKOS on there so I can still install other applications like Pleco without any strain on memory?

My comments relate entirely to the North American version of the GSM version of the Treo 650. I'm not familiar with the 2 versions that are available in China that have been discussed here and in other forums.

In regards to the "strain" on memory, you won't have any problems installing PlecoDict on the Treo 650. A large portion of PlecoDict can be stored/run from the memory card. Some of the items have to be installed on the Treo 650's main memory such as the flashcards, the Pleco handwriting recognition software/plugin, and the custom dictionary. The Treo 650 comes with approximately 22,774K of main memory. This might sound like a lot but when some programs MUST be installed on the PDA's main memory, you will find that like a computer's hard drive, you never have enough space. :wink:

Some programs that must be installed fully on the Treo 650's main memory (in the event that you decide to buy them) include Butler, Chatting programs, anything that has a conduit to your PC, Documents to Go (which comes with the Treo 650 CD), pTunes, etc.

If you buy CJKOS, it will also have to be installed on main memory.

Jim

榜眼
gato said:
Its builtin pinyin entry system, for some reason, only allows entry one character at a time instead of by words (which is allowed on the installation of CKJOS on my Sony CLIE).

The built in CJKOS is missing the files for phrase recognition. You can add them into RAM and they will work fine. You should be able to find them on the internet somewhere.

gato

状元
That explains it. Thanks, Jim. It seems that phrase book should be installed by default (it's 160k or so) since without it, pinyin entry is a pain. I've seen a number of posts on Chinese discussion boards complaining about TREO's Chinese entry system. If only they knew about this installation problem.

gato

状元
I posted your solution on a Chinese Palm forum, and people laughed at the solution, saying that it was old news and that they have moved onto something better.
http://www.hi-pda.com/forum/viewthread. ... a=page%3D1

Apparently this “掌易”中文输入平台 is the preferred Chinese entry method on the TREO now.
http://club.mypda.com.cn/sp.asp?tid=100916&loc=2&gp=1

I also found the accuracy of the builtin PenPower left something to be desired. 汉王笔 (HanWang) is supposed to be substantially more accurate, though I haven't tried it, yet.
http://down1.tech.sina.com.cn/download/ ... 4525.shtml

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
The standalone Hanwang recognizer uses the same engine as the handwriting recognizer built into PlecoDict, so if that seems more accurate than PenPower then the standalone one should be as well.

掌易 Input and other stuff

I've heard of this 掌易 software, but can't seem to find a viable download link. An suggestions?

I just installed 掌易, and it works pretty well, though there are some shortcomings with phrase association and whatnot. It should be pretty good in the future.
As for Hanwang, if you get the 2003 1月 edition, it does work on the Treo series, though there's an extra step in starting it up as opposed to PPen. The one thing that I really like about this software is phrase association, something that PPen doesn't seem to have.

gato

状元
I just installed 掌易, and it works pretty well, though there are some shortcomings with phrase association and whatnot.
Which phrase file did you install? The website says that the phrase file for pinyin has 40,000 words, which is probably plenty for SMS use.

I'm pretty happy with the phrase library for shuangpin. And if it's not in the file, the program will remember the new word after you've entered it once.