SmartQ devices and Pleco?

Sarevok

进士
Does anybody have any experience with using SmartQ (智器) devices (official website: http://en.smartdevices.com.cn/index.html). These are Chinese brand MIDs for quite a low price (at some 1500RMB for V7), and the V series (V5 and V7) feature multiboot - Ubuntu Linux, Android and Windows CE 6.0

Would it be possible to run Pleco on that? WinCE 6.0 is not exactly the same thing as WM, right? Even after doing some research, I am still not quite sure about this... Or would it be able to run it in the future? IF the desktop version materializes at some point and IF it is made WINE-friendly...

Sarevok

进士
Found this review on WinCE usability (for SmartQ V7):

http://www.pcpop.com/doc/0/479/479126.shtml

总结:

通过一遍的WinCE系统软件试用,系统对前一版系统有提高,应用更流畅,速度在LiNUx之上,但是界面的美观程度稍差一些,不过勤奋的玩家可以在网络上找找相关的美化软件,毕竟国内对WinCE系统的软件开发程度还是相当高的,我们也可以挪用手机WM系统上的使用软件,WinCE的应用前景是非常明亮跟广阔的,而且可玩性高,更增加了大家对MID类产品的兴趣。

so, according to that review, it seems that running WM applications should be possible... would this apply for Pleco as well?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Pleco relies on a couple of Windows-Mobile-specific APIs, so unfortunately I don't think it will work. Removing those APIs is also part of porting the Windows Mobile version to desktops, though, so if we don't end up actually releasing that we might at least be able to use what we've done to make a Windows-CE-friendly version - no promises, though.

Sarevok

进士
Thanks for the answer Mike...

I'll probably go for it anyways, as it is so cheap and it would be nice to have a device for video playing and e-book reading, which could be comfortably used in bed, on trains etc. Sure, I can do all that on my Omnia Pro too, but it would be much better on 7" screen (especially when reading PDFs, which is a pain on anything smaller). Having three OS's, it would be a nice toy to tinker with as well...

Having a Pleco reader and dictionary look-up available would be nice to have, but something I can live without (considering that a new license with all my dictionaries would cost me almost as much as that device itself). Still, if it is something doable in the future, I would definitely be interested...