Short-Term Spoken Chinese Flashcards

I am new to this site, to pleco and to the whole flashcard game, so my problem may be simple to solve, I don't know. I have already found flashcards for npcr and boya and am now trying to find flashcards for short-term spoken chinese. I found some here (http://www.snigel.nu/?p=871) and converted them to a txt. The problem is that the person who created the file saved not only the hanzi, pinyin and definition for each word, but a time stamp and some kind of score.

My question is, can anyone tell me if there is some way easy way to eliminate all the excess baggage in this file so that I can upload it to pleco, some way that does not require me to go through the text line by line by line...

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Short-Term Spoken Chinese - Threshold.txt
    69.6 KB · Views: 1,460
  • Short-Term Spoken Chinese - Elementary.txt
    86.7 KB · Views: 1,599

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
The most efficient way to fix this would be with a find-and-replace using "regular expressions," which are a fancy programmer trick for efficiently extracting / reformatting data in text files.

Download a regular-expression-friendly text editor (I'd recommend EmEditor which is a really fantastic tool for manipulating Chinese text files in general, or if you have a Mac the free TextWrangler will do nicely), then bring up a find-and-replace screen, make sure the "grep" or "regular expressions" option is turned on, and enter this long string of text in the "Find" section:

Code:
^([^\t\r\n]*)\t([^\t\r\n]*)\t([^\t\r\n]*)\t([^\t\r\n]*)\t[^\r\n]*$

And this one in the "Replace" section:

Code:
\2\[\1\]\t\3\t\4

That should clean these up into Pleco-friendly vocabulary lists.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
How did you try both? EmEditor only works on Windows and TextWrangler on Mac - what happened when you tried to use them?

gato

状元
profamericain, if you open the files in Excel, it'll help you convert the texts into columns. Then you can delete the columns you don't want and re-save as text files.

MS Word also can convert text into tables, if you prefer to use Word.

thph2006

进士
I converted these for my own use adding separate categories for each lesson. Here are the files for anyone who might find them useful. Beware that my files will create 30 categories for Threshold and 26 categories for Elementary. If you prefer a single category just delete all the lines that start with //.

File structure snippets:
//STSC Threshold/入门第一课
你[你] ni3 you
好[好] hao3 good; well
您[您] nin2 you (formal)

//STSC Elementary/基础第一课
猜[猜] cai1 to guess
一定[一定] yi1ding4 surely; certainly; necessarily; fixed; a certain (extent, etc.); given; particular
聪明[聰明] cong1 ming intelligent; bright
希望[希望] xi1 wang4 to wish for; to desire; to hope

Attachments

• Short-Term Spoken Chinese - Elementary-Pleco.txt
    58 KB · Views: 1,621
  • Short-Term Spoken Chinese - Threshold-Pleco.txt
    45.1 KB · Views: 1,469

Aminger

I am new to this site, to pleco and to the whole flashcard game, so my problem may be simple to solve, I don't know. I have already found flashcards for npcr and boya and am now trying to find flashcards for short-term spoken chinese. I found some here (http://www.snigel.nu/?p=871) and converted them to a txt. The problem is that the person who created the file saved not only the hanzi, pinyin and definition for each word, but a time stamp and some kind of score.

My question is, can anyone tell me if there is some way easy way to eliminate all the excess baggage in this file so that I can upload it to pleco, some way that does not require me to go through the text line by line by line...

Thanks in advance.

Hi Profamericain, I am also new in Pleco and flashcards. I am using NPCR textbook and you mention you already download flashcards to this book, can you please let me the link you found it so that I may also download it? Thank you in advance.