Screen Reader and Webview

Rvzy

秀才
Is there anyway you could parse the text in an android webview for screen reader?

I know it's possible to do it using an accessibility service but the issue would probably be with finding where to render the text, but even everything listed would be nice.

Would work well for things like Ankidroid and various news article apps.

Rvzy

秀才
Another feature that might be nice is to add a button to the overlay that will show the current clipboard on screen if any, rather than having to exit the current app and start Pleco.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Sorry, are web views not being handled correctly by Screen Reader now? We already do extract the text from them with accessibility, and at least on reasonably new versions of Android with a Chrome-based WebView it reports locations just fine in most articles. There isn't really any way besides accessibility or OCR for us to extract content from another app; in theory we could use accessibility to extract the URL from the toolbar and bring that up in our own web viewer, but we don't know if that would be worth the effort when we already offer Screen Reader.

As for your other suggestion: that's certainly doable, but why not just highlight the text and tap the 'share' button to share it with Pleco? Shouldn't involve any more taps than this would.

catapart

Hi, quick question: I'm loving the screen reader as well but find the process of turning it on quite cumbersome. If I'm not mistaken, I first need to (1) go into my phone settings>accessibility>Pleco screen reader to turn it on, and then, (2), go into the Pleco app to turn on the screen reader + OCR there as well. It'd be fantastic if there were one button that would take care of this all with one click. I'm especially annoyed that I have to do both (1) and (2) multiple times a day if I want to read at different times. Am I doing something wrong? Is there a better way of going about this, perhaps setting shortcuts (by the way, I'm using Xiaomi's Mi 5)? Can the settings not simply be saved in the phone somehow? Thanks for your response!

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
You shouldn't need to do 1) each time, can leave that one on in the background even if you're not using Screen Reader. No way for us to do it automatically - Android permission system requires that you activate it manually - though we do redirect you to that options screen if it's currently inactive when you try to run Screen Reader.

For 2), there are options in Pleco to add a toggle icon for Screen Reader to your home screen or to the notification bar.