Remapping Existing Flashcards

Ricky1194

秀才
I want to remap the dictionary that is chosen for the flashcards. For example, the card may be in ABC, but the PLC dictionary is better for how I want to remember the word, so I click on the grey bar on the right hand side and change to the PLC dictionary and then hit + (which has a box around it) and it asks me if I want to permanently remap that card. I say yes. And then it reverts back to the old one.

I also think there is an issue where I create a flashcard from a specific dictionary initially and then it uses another dictionary in the flashcard program. This, however, may be my imagination so I don't have the same hard proof, but the remapping error is definitely happening.

mfcb

状元
hmm, now that this is mentioned, i also remember, that i had some cards recently, that were for sure not from a dict i normally choose for flashcards. i even had some flashcards without any dictionary entry, but these was maybe older cards... so i dont know, maybe CEDICT or HANDEDICT lost these entries. the only thing that made me wonder was, that i normally dont select one of the free dicts, if the card is available in a bought one.

by the way, i usually remap the card to another dict during the flashcard session (edit...), did not know its supposed to also work the way described above :)

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
I want to remap the dictionary that is chosen for the flashcards. For example, the card may be in ABC, but the PLC dictionary is better for how I want to remember the word, so I click on the grey bar on the right hand side and change to the PLC dictionary and then hit + (which has a box around it) and it asks me if I want to permanently remap that card. I say yes. And then it reverts back to the old one.

It could be that there's an issue that's preventing the updated flashcard from saving correctly - have you had any other problems with creating or editing flashcards lately?

I also think there is an issue where I create a flashcard from a specific dictionary initially and then it uses another dictionary in the flashcard program. This, however, may be my imagination so I don't have the same hard proof, but the remapping error is definitely happening.

With those my best guess would be that you added an existing card that linked to another dictionary to a new category.

Ricky1194

秀才
OK, new information: I create a flash card and it pulls from the ABC dictionary, regardless of the dictionary I chose originally; the caveat being if the ABC dictionary has the entry.

It could be that there's an issue that's preventing the updated flashcard from saving correctly - have you had any other problems with creating or editing flashcards lately?

I don't appear to have any other problems. This seems like the only one, but it is making remembering the cards kind of annoying because I wanted to use a definition that made sense with the context and now I can't do that.

With those my best guess would be that you added an existing card that linked to another dictionary to a new category.[/quote said:
I think that some of them were from other categories, but does that mean I can't change the definition, even when I try to change it in the card? To add information...sometimes the card will have one definition under the "edit" function and another one for the display, and this is from a card that is not in another category...see attached pics.

Attachments

• Edit.png
    Edit.png
    87.3 KB · Views: 461
  • Card.png
    Card.png
    83.7 KB · Views: 525

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
By any chance have you enabled the "Remap cards to dicts" option in Review Flashcards / Card Text?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
That's the problem then - they're coming up with ABC because you've configured the test to always remap cards to ABC. So deactivate that option and things should then behave normally again.

If you're trying to create a situation where all of your cards start off with ABC but then you can manually switch to different dictionaries as you go along and decide you like another dictionary's definition better, remap them permanently to ABC via the Batch screen instead - that way, any card with an ABC definition will show you that definition until you manually decide to change it, after which it'll keep giving you that new definition.